Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Need info on the Tuskegee Airman....
Jeeves
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 01:20 PM UTC
I interviewed a formet Tuskegee pilot who lives in my town the other day and am planning on modeling his P-51C. I don't have a lot of info on his plane as all the stuff he brought back, including photos, were burned in a fire. His name is Clarence Dart, and his plane was "Tess's Torch Song". He was in the 332nd in the 99th squadron. I have a few of the Tuskegee books I could find in my library (including Red Tails, Black Wings" which has his enlistment info listed....but I was wondering if anyone knew of any books that had profiles of the paint schemes from the 332nd?? Also-- any pics of Tess's Torch Song would be truly and heartily wanted
Buzzsaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 02:26 PM UTC
Hi, Jeeves,

How is his memory? Does he remember specific personal markings, pin-up art, or any thing like that? If he was in P-51s, which marque was he in? The reason I ask is because that kind of specific info on the Tuskegee Airmen (personal markings) is kind of sketchy. there are a few planes that have been well documented, but still many more that have not. The Ospry book "Mustang Aces of the 9th and 15th Air Forces" has some excellent profiles of the 332nd planes. That should serve as a good jumping off point for your work.

I have been working, on and off, on research of Jug Turner's "Skipper'sDarlin'" for a while, also a 99th Squadron plane, and only recently have I come up with suficient info to do a profile. In the process, I learned that most of the planes carried personal markings on both sides of the plane.

If you can collect as much detailed info as you can on the plane in question, I'll be glad to help create a profile of the plane for you. Contact me off board and we'll chat.
tazz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 03:04 PM UTC
what a honor to meet a guy this,, ,, that is great that these old guys are still here to tell there storys,
but i iam sure that they trained in Tuskegee georigia
that how they got the name,,,
u should rent the moive the Tuskegee airmen its really a great moive
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 03:21 PM UTC
Wow Jeeves, I'm really envious. What a great honor to meet one of those great airmen and be able to model one of their planes for them.

I hope that you and Thomas can help each other out on this. Please keep us updated because I'm sure there will be a lot of interested people.
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 03:24 PM UTC
Hi Jeeves,
I don't know anything about the specific squadron markings for the Tuskegee airmen you are looking for but for lack of anything else I have some photos I could email you if you are inerested. At an air show in my area there was a P-51 painted in the scheme of the Tuskegee Airmen. I have some shots off of the air show website plus one good profile shot of my own that I took. It was roped off so I couldn't get close or around the plane to get some really good all around shots.
In fact the pictures still might be on the website. Try quadcityairshow.com That is most of the same pics I have. There are also some good interior shots of the cockpit.

Hope it helps a little anyway,
Wayne
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 03:26 PM UTC
Try contacting the New England Air Museum http://www.neam.org " TARGET="_blank"> http://www.neam.org . They have a display my club did on the Tuskegee Airmen and might have some specifics, or give you some leads. You may use my name, Al LaFleche of WIngs & Wheels Modelers as a reference. As a reult of that I had the honor of dining with 6 or 7 of the veterans and had them autograph the book "Tuskegee Airmen, The Men who Changed a Nation" . Also, do a search on Negro Airmen's Association, a relalted support group. Locally, they are involved with getting inner city kids interested and involved in aviation. I alsop just checked the Abacus add on for CFS doesn't have this aircraft listed.
PLMP110
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2003 - 04:49 PM UTC
I think that this may be a good place to look....... http://www.tusk.edu/Global/story.asp?S=1129262&nav=CcXDDzLM. If what you are looking for is not here, I'm sure the university would be glad to help. Tuskegee is in Alabama, not Georgia. HTH.

Patrick
Jeeves
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 02:41 AM UTC
Wow guys-- some great responses!!

Thomas-- I will be emailing you in a brief moment.....thanks for your help!

tazz....I talked to him about the movie and he laughed....said that was "Hollywood's" depiction of it...despite it being based on one of the Airmen's writings I believe.

Tin_can-- I will....once I finish typing it up, I can post the interview if you guys are interested?

Wad_ware-- thanks-- I went to the site and see the pics-- if it's OK, I'd like to copy a few of them and bring them to him to see if it rings any bells for him?

AJLaFleche-- I did as you suggested-- not sure if I'll get an answer today as it is Saturday, but thanks for the help...hopefully it'll provide some info

PLMP110-- thanks to you as well....I emailed Tuskegee's Archives department so I hope, as well, for some leads.

You guys are awesome-- I will make sure I get some photos of the completed project if I ever finish it

Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tin_can-- I will....once I finish typing it up, I can post the interview if you guys are interested?

That would be great. It would make an awesome News Article.
Jeeves
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 06:24 AM UTC
Just submitted it to News Tin_Can.... hope peopleenjoy it as much as I did!
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 07:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just submitted it to News Tin_Can.... hope peopleenjoy it as much as I did!

Thanks Jeeves, I'll get it posted.
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 07:46 AM UTC
Did you get the pics copied off the website OK or did you need me to email them to you?
Will be glad to do it for you if you need them.
I do have a really good profile shot of the P-51 that I took at the air show which I am using now and makes a really nice wallpaper for windows if you want it too. For the side shot of the plane it is better than the ones on the website.
Just let me know the size of pic you want and how compressed you do or don't want it to be if interested.

Good luck on your venture, I sure would love to have the same opportunity :-)
drool,....drool.....,
Wayne
Jeeves
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 02:23 PM UTC
Hey Wad_ware...

I'd love to see the profile shot if you have it easily accessible! My email should take it OK-- but if it is really large, maybe zip it up in WinZip first??

Thanks again!
 _GOTOTOP