_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Cockpit help please...
jnorman55
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 03:16 AM UTC
I am a relative beginner, and am working on Tamiya's 1:48 Mosquito. It is a beautiful plane and I want to do it proud. I have painted the cockpit in the basic colours(Tamiya acryllics) and want to weather it. I am planning to dry brush it first in the appropriate places, then putting on a coat of future before putting on a wash. Is this right? Is the wash necessary? Should the wash go on first? Will the wash mask the effect of the dry brushing? I am suffering from lack of experience, and dont want to make a mess of this plane, having wrecked my last 2 models with bad decisions regarding the painting.

All advice gratefully received,
James.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 03:38 AM UTC
James, I Am Not An Expert, but I would suggest a wash before dry brushing. Part of the point of the wash is to simulate shadows that create the appearance of depth. I'm thinking that a wash after highlighting would dull the highlights. Use the future as a barrier between treatments. Especially if the second one might dissolve the first one. Probably not needed for acrylic over enamel or ink over either finish. Definitely between treatments with the same solvent and enamel over acrylic.

Hope this helps.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 06:08 AM UTC
Hi James .

Like Mark has said , after the base colour is applyied and is fully dried . Seal it with a clear coat . Either future floor wax or any clear spray such as Testors gloss coat . once dried apply the wash and let this dry over night . Now do the drybrushing to high-light the detail .
jnorman55
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 07:09 AM UTC
Thanks for your advice. I would have it in the wrong order otherwise.

I've not managed a particularly successful wash yet. Do I just run it into the nooks and crannies, trusting that the future coat is going to give it a smooth surface to creep along, or do I paint it all over, even the flat surfaces, to give them a layer of 'dirt'? Also, just to clarify, on top of my tamiya acryllics and future coats, I'm going to use use an oil wash, dark grey or black oil, thinned in enamel thinner so as the thinner is really only tinted with the paint. Sound about right? I know I have to experiment, but have made some terrible errors before that have been very labour intensive to rectify, and I want to get it right first time with this one.

Thanks again,
James
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 09:13 AM UTC
James.

For cockpits in the Green shade i use a wash of raw umber, sort of a dark brown colour, gives a nice finish to my eye. I tend to slap it about liberally and cover everything, then a dull coat prior to dry brushing.

I can't say this is the best way to do it, but it's what i do. Hope it works out ok for you. It's a great kit the Tamiya Mossie, hope you post some photos soon.

Andy
jnorman55
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 09:49 AM UTC
Thanks. I like the idea of using a wash that isn't black, and have some burnt umber hidden away somewhere. When you say you cover the wash with a dull coat, I'm assuming you mean a matt clear coat. Can I ask why you put a matt clear coat between the wash and dry brushing?

James
 _GOTOTOP