_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
NEWS
1/72 New Tool Airfix Me Bf110C/D
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 02:51 AM UTC
Photobucket

The new tool Messerschmitt Bf110C-2/C-4 has hit the shops. Not much information or pictures on the Airfix website, but there are a few sprue shots circulating around some of the other forums sites. Very reasonable price though. I will update when there are some sprue shots.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 03:16 AM UTC
Hi Tim,

...mine arrived this morning. Nice red box full of finely moulded parts. Couldn't resist having a quick go at putting the major components together. No problems - very neat. Big (and relatively) empty cockpit though. Bulged wheels and the exceptionally detailed undercarriage and gear bays are good. Slanted mounting points for the gear ensures the correct stance which is absent on all other 72nd scale Bf110s. Nose guns mounted on a plastic insert ensure perfect alignment - interlocking exhausts also guarantee hassle frree construction in that area (I hope..)..looks pretty good overall !

My Luftwaffe blog

litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 03:53 AM UTC
Nice one Neil
tim
Armando
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 05:04 AM UTC
Hi, Neil,

Not being a “rivet counter” myself, but having had my share of bad surprises with the “new Airfix” new models, would you mind if I ask how about dimensions, accuracy, etc. etc., in relation with reliable sources ?
Thanks in advance,

Armando
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 06:13 AM UTC
well I laid the major structural parts out on the Kagero plans I have - no issues whatsoever that I can see, much like the recent Airfix 48th Emil. There is a hint of a problem in the upper engine cowl area where the 'taper' extends out over the flapline which it shouldn't do on the real thing. Here's a pic showing it alongside the Fujimi Bf110 C which is generally reckoned to be one of the best 110s in this scale, although its undercarriage is poor and the rear fuselage rather thin. The Airfix 110 is much better in both these areas. Rather like their excellent Spitfire IX there's not much to go in that cavernous cockpit opening - I'd say that is probably the weakest part of the kit again

Armando
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 10:42 AM UTC
Hi, Neil,

Thanks for you quick answer!

As soon the -110 will hit the helves in Portugal, I will grab one ….

From here, it looks like the issue of the the upper engine cowl area can be solved with a bit of work, but nothing dramatic.

The emptiness of the cockpit doesn’t look like a serious problem either, 'cause I believe that sooner or later (most probably sooner...) we will be submerged by resin and/or photo-etching for the “baby”… Wanna bet ???

Thanks again

Armando
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 11:07 AM UTC
Hi Neil.
Great work with your mini review.
tim
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 01:27 AM UTC

thank you - as Armando says it might be worth waiting for some AM stuff for the cockpit before attempting this one. I have a sheet of Airwaves etch designed for the Fujimi 110 but I don't think it'll will go far in the Airfix kit..
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 07:17 AM UTC
having had a rummage in the box and even put a few cockpit parts together and added some plastic card consoles (top right) it becomes obvious why the cockpit is empty apart from a couple of seats, bulkeads etc- the canopy is a thick single part item and very little will be seen through it - disappointing. Multi-part Fujimi canopy for comparison (left) ..

Bungal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 07:32 PM UTC
Nice looking kit.
May be tempted to get one and wait for the aftermarket bits. I am sure it wont be long.

Brian
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 11:49 PM UTC

Hi Brian

I'm in a bit of a quandry now with this one. The Fujimi canopy on the Airfix kit seems to be the best option. Might look a little odd though as it's a tad shorter - will fit okay-ish as its a multi-part item and can be posed open. Some-one will do a cockpit set I'm sure and no doubt there's a better canopy out there too ...
( got some Italeri 110s in the stash to check ..)
 _GOTOTOP