_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Attaching plane to dio base?
hellbent11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 725 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 03:38 PM UTC
Hey all, I was just curious what the best way to attach a plane to a dio base was? I thought of CA glue and disgusing it with wheel chocks to not make it look obvious.

I know in armor I've always wired everything to the base plus added glue which is easy to hide behind all those road wheels.

Thanks, Hellbent
miteco20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 71 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 08:37 AM UTC
You could use CA but it can sometimes eat away at plastic parts so you might want to test it first. I've used Gorilla Glue on the rare occasion I use a diorama and it works well. The wheel chocks is a good idea for hidding it though.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 05:12 PM UTC
When I was into aircraft building, I use to drill a hole in the flattened bottom of each tire, CA a pin into each tire, then drill a corresponding hole into the wooden base. The pins held the plane firmly to the base.
hellbent11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 725 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 05:46 PM UTC
Thanks guys, sorry about the late reply went on vacation. I think I'll try the gorilla glue to get me out of my current mess...

The pins sound like an excellent idea and I'll do that in the future!

Thanks, Hellbent
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2010 - 02:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When I was into aircraft building, I use to drill a hole in the flattened bottom of each tire, CA a pin into each tire, then drill a corresponding hole into the wooden base. The pins held the plane firmly to the base.

Exactly what I've done on the few ocasions I've had to.Works a treat.
Steve
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 07:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That is what I do.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 07:59 AM UTC
Hi there

I use pins too but, depending on a combination of factors - i.e. whether you intend to move the display around a lot, and the weight of the model vs. the strength of its undercarriage - it can sometimes be a lot safer not to attach the model to the base. (I used to take a heavy resin model fixed to a base around model shops in London as a sales sample and, no matter how carefully I carried it, it was always ripping the undercarriage off.)

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP