_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Feedback
Have a suggestion or topic about this site? Post it here.
How do you feel about this...
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 06:24 PM UTC
I had an email from a member who didn't much like that his name is searchable by Google going back to his user account here. This is not the first complaint I have had and I am sure there are many who are hesitant to have their full name visible to the world.

So my question to the membership is: Should we only show full name information in the forums or on member profile pages to those users that are logged in? This will mean search engines won't index/save that info.

I could potentially also allow this to be an option in your user configuration area; ie: allow my full name to be seen by public vs. only logged in users.

For the purposes of allowing people to find review or feature content by a particular author, I think I will have to stick to those types of things displaying the name to search engines though.

Let me know your feedback.

Thanks,
Jim
bilko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 584 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 07:46 PM UTC
Jim

I must confess that my knowledge of the internut is that of a user only. If it is possible as you say to have our names only show to logged in users and then not come up on search engines then I say go for it.

I also have concerns about some of my "customers" searching my details online. That is why I like this site - I can use a nickname, Maybe my "customers" don't think the so & so who sent them to jail could be interested in making models.

Brian
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 08:26 PM UTC
In my opinion an optional choose between showing full name to all vs. only logged in users would be the best option.
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 09:54 PM UTC
I too, would prefer access by logged in members only. I'm a pessimist when it comes to security though. There are probably 6 ways to get around any given block.
Rick
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 01:06 AM UTC
Not having your name searchable by the web at large is advantageous - many (most?) employers now do web searches on potential employees before hiring. Having the real names of members searchable by google or other search engines pretty much assures that members will keep things as vanilla as possible so as to not potentially disturb the most sensitive of human resources people at potential future work sites.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 01:51 AM UTC
Excellent point Vance. I'm not sure the HR people at my work place would appreciate the humor in my running a campaign dedicated to killing zombies....or even building military aircraft/vehicles for that matter.

Hermon
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 09:03 PM UTC
Although some staff members know who I am, I do not have my full name on the site anywhere. I have a particualr reason for this which is not important to anybody else.

But still, I am amazed how easily some people broadcast their personal details on the internet. a burglar can, with a simple visit to facebook, know exactly when an "interesting house" will be empty.
 _GOTOTOP