_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
AS18 Air Compressor Problem
FLAKATTAK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 04:25 AM UTC
Hello Guys, I have a AS18 Air Compressor & was today going to have a go at Airbrushing. I set everything up, put my airbrush on It & switched It on. The air pressure went up until It reached 60psi & then cut-out automatically, when I pressed the plunger down on the airbrush the psi dropped to around 20-25psi & held there while ever I held the plunger down, when I released the plunger, the psi went back to 60psi & cut-out again. The Instructions state that I can alter the psi by lifting the regulator & turning either clockwise/anti-clockwise to either reduce or have more pressure, but I cant get the regulator to do either. Now I have been told that 20-25psi for airbrushing is ok & basically is the compressor ok to use as it I have explained above......

Thanks.
Sean.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 02:15 AM UTC
Hi Sean

Is this the first time you've used the set-up? If the compressor cut out at 60psi, it sounds like the regulator must be set for that. Looking at pics of the AS-18, the regulator looks like one I tried a while back. You pull up on the knob to adjust it, and push down again to lock it.

20-25psi is OK, but too high if you want to get in close for detailed work.

All the best

Rowan
FLAKATTAK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 09:28 AM UTC
hi Rowan, its the same one as you mentioned with the pull up knob to adjust, but ive tried all ways but I can adjust the pressure either up or down. When I switch it on, the pressure rises to 60psi & auto cut-outs, but when I push on the air plunger on the airbrush the pressure drops to 20-25psi & stays at that while ever the plunger is pressed, when I release the plunger on my airbrush the presure rises again to 60psi & then cuts out. This might sound a stupid question but when the compressor is switched on & the pressure reaches 60psi & then cuts out, should I be able to adjust the pressure then, because Im at a loss with It & the instructions are useless. Is there something I am not doing???. Nearly forgot, this Is the first time I have tried to use It as well. Also would 20-25psi be ok to use for spraying the aircrafts base coat, but thats it, what would the pressure need to be for detailed work Rowan.

Regards.
Sean.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 - 10:25 AM UTC
Hi again Sean

If the regulator is set lower the pressure should never get up to 60 psi - it would cut out at whatever you set. I do remember someone finding that their regulator of this make had been assembled back-to-front (i.e. the input was the output) - maybe that's the cause here, although I think they also said it all leaked air terribly.

20-25 psi should be fine for basecoats. I go down to 15 psi or lower for close-up work. But I now leave the compressor set high and use an Iwata MAC valve, which fits on the airbrush itself. It isn't isn't actually calibrated in psi - you just work by "feel". That sounds haphazard, but works really well in practice.

All the best

Rowan
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 11:16 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,

That was me! When I got my compressor I tried to fire it up and it just plain didn't work, and leaked air from every join. With the help of picture on the box, I manged to re-assemble everything so it didn't leak.

One thing I have noticed, is the regulator isn't the best made in world. It works, but it just seems flimsy. MAybe this is where the problem lies. I would suggest one of two courses of action, a) Call the supplier, let them know your problem and see if they will send a new regulator or b) beg, steal or borrow a regulator off someone else and test it.

I'm assuming you brought your compressor through Airbrush-pro? If you did I have found their customer service very good, so give them a ring, you never know!
FLAKATTAK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 06:48 AM UTC
Hello Guys, I have some very good news, I have the compressor working. Through a well known auction site I found someone who was selling the exact same compressor & he put me In contact with someone else who could help & all I needed to do was remove the red collar & keep turning the regulator until the psi drops or rises, what I was doing Is turning the regulator 3-4 times & I didnt remove the red collar.. So guys, thanks for all your help. I can now start my 1/48 Memphis Belle.. Two more questions, for the base coat of any model, would I be best having the pressure at 20psi & for close detail work would the pressure be best at 12-15psi. Lastly I will be using Revell/Humbrol Enamel paint & am thinking of thinning with water, Whats the mixing system??
Please excuse all the questions, but this will be my first attempt ever at airbrushing & Its a bit daunting..

Regards.
Sean,
 _GOTOTOP