_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Mottling Effects
FLAKATTAK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 05:46 AM UTC
Hello Guys, I am just starting to do a Revell 1:72 FOCKE WULF FW 190F-8 using brushes as opposed to an airbrush & what I need to know Is how to get the mottled effect like you see on many German WW2 aircraft. I am new to modelling so I dont know the many tricks, I was thinking along the lines of using a sponge to dab on the mottling effect, but would be very Interested to know what you guys do to get this effect...

Regards.
Sean..
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 01:52 PM UTC
Hey Sean, although I've never tried it I have seen sponge application of paint done to good effect for mottling on German aircraft. Try it out on an old kit and see what you think. Russell
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 05:31 PM UTC
Hi Sean,

A zillion years ago Revell had their Master Modeling Club, and it had an occasional magazine (much like Airfix's modeling magazine. One of the topics was using sponges to do mottling on their 1/72 Bf 109.

Sponges, even those with a small hole pattern, will give a hard edge mottle. I used to use a fine flat brush; I would paint the main splotch, then lightly dry brush around it, or stipple its edges. Not as soft as an airbrush, but can be convincing. And you can control the paint build-up better than with a sponge.
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 07:56 AM UTC
I'm an airbrusher myself but recently saw a very good hand painted mottle. It was done by an armour modeller chancing his arm on the dark side. Here's how he did it in his own words.

"Don't tell anyone but nothing on the model is dry brushed.... For the mottling and any feather edge work I use a technique from my days part time illustrating and now with water colour painting, called wet on wet.
I am sure you are familiar with the term, but just to recap, for this model it involved the use of two brushes loaded with the two colours of Dk. and Lt. paint.
Start at one end and keeping both colours wet, stipple as you go along with both colours. Because both colours are wet they quietly mix together as you paint along the fusalage....You have to work quickly because if the paints dries during the process you're up a gum tree!
If it goes wrong just reprime and have another go."

Never tried it myself but it certainly works.
Cheers
Steve
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 01:31 AM UTC

another variation on wet/wet - paint your mottle and then run around the outline with a clean brush dampened with thinners which will effectively 'blend' the colours together. After drying give the whole surface a light sand to 'thin' down the central area of mottle.
FLAKATTAK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 11:27 PM UTC
Cheers guys, Im going to give It a go today, got to get some practice In before I start on my 1/48 Memphis Belle. Its massive & a bit daunting. There Is one other query I have, I know that before airbrushing Its best to prime the model first, do you do this when brush painting or dont It really matter?

Thanks.
Sean (FLAKATTAK)
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 - 08:55 AM UTC
Hi Sean, I don't think it really matters. When I was brush painting I just put the primary color on and was done. Russell
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 - 08:21 AM UTC

..I always use a primer. You'll get a lovely brush finish if you spray with Halfords grey primer first
steven444
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 05:44 PM UTC
nice post !!!
 _GOTOTOP