_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Swapping from Humbrol enamals to acrylic
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 11:26 PM UTC
I don't have an airbrush, but given the limited building I do it's not worth it right now. I use Tamiya rattle-cans mainly, and am happy with the results. However, when painting smaller parts, I hate the Humbrols, as they not only leave my studio with an over-powering smell of drying paint, but I'm not at all happy with the way they settle either (patchy).
Can I use Tamiya acrylics to brush paint certain model parts?
As they're water-based I take it there isn't the strong smell?
And finally, what are the finished results like when using Tamiya acrylics?
Phil_H
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 07:30 PM UTC
Tamiya's acrylics airbrush beautifully. Before about 1986-87, they brush-painted beautifully too. Then they changed and have been difficult to brush-paint ever since.

The worst aspect is a phenomenon we've come to call "roll-up". When applied, the paint skins very quickly, but is still soft, so when you brush back over an area which may seem to be dry, it "rolls up" in big ugly lumps.

People will tell you that Tamiya acrylics are impossible to brush-paint with, but it certainly can be done.

There are a number of rules to observe when painting with Tamiya acrylics.

- Do not paint from the jar. Decant a small amount and add about 30% Tamiya X-20A acrylic thinner.
- Moisten your brush in a little clean thinner (moist, not wet) before loading the brush with paint.
- Paint in short even strokes, and paint to a "wet edge" ie. only paint back as far as the edge of the last "wet" stroke. Painting back over a dry or partially dry area will cause the aforementioned "roll-up"
- If an area requires re-coating, allow the painted item to cure at least overnight before doing so.
- Use good quality brushes, preferably red/Kolinsky sable. They may be expensive, but if you take proper care of them they'll serve you well for years. DO NOT use the "10 per card for $2.00" discount store brushes.

As an alternative, I'd suggest looking at Vallejo Model Color acrylics for brush painting. They brush paint exceptionally well and have no smell whatsoever, and can be thinned with, and your brushes cleaned with plain old water (though I recommend distilled water for thinning). They also have a far more extensive colour range than Tamiya.
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 02:04 AM UTC
Excellent informaion, Phil! Thanks. I think I might try these Vallejo Model Color acrylics.
Can they be used in an airbrush too, in case I later decide to purchase one?

Sure many beginners will find your above info very useful!
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 05:32 AM UTC
Vallejo paints brush paint beautifully, as that is what they were intended for. They also can be thinned for airbrushing, however seem to have a higher learning curve in thinning them properly for airbrushing, but can still be done.

Biggest thing with the Vallejo Model Color, is that the thinning ratio isn't consistent from color to color like Tamiya. Generally with Tamiya you are safe with 50/50 thinner to paint. With Vallejo you might get one color that is 50/50, the next you may need to thin it as much as 80-90% thinner to get it to spray properly. However the results are well worth it.

Vallejo also has a pre-thinned Air range, which work excellently in the airbrush, just drop it in and go.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 10:15 AM UTC
I've found humbrols acrylics brush on well, Games Workshop ones too.
Must seek out Vallejo locally too. I hate waiting for paint to arrive, never mind dry.
 _GOTOTOP