_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
NEWS
Model Aircraft World Magazine
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 - 11:15 PM UTC
Traplet Publications have announced a brand new UK aircraft modelling magazine, Model Aircraft World, set to launch at the Telford IPMS Show in November.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 03:45 AM UTC
great news!

I have been thinking for some time now to find myself a good aircraft modelling magazine but never got to actually do something about it.

For those with knowledge on magazines; where would this new one position itself, and what is the competition like?

and final question: will it be available on the continent as well? For a reasonable price I mean. Many UK magazines are costing an arm and a leg in Belgium
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 06:19 AM UTC
I really wish there were quality mags like this published in the US so we didn't have to pay the huge subscription rates or issue prices at the news stands. Finescale Modeler just doesn't cut it in my opinion. It seem like all they do is re-hash the same articles over and over but published by different people.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 08:32 AM UTC
In my opinion the only model aircraft magazine that "cuts the mustard" for me is Scale Aviation Modeller International. I've never been too impressed by Traplets previous titles and Tamiya Model Mag international wen't down hill in my books when they diversified and started their own seperate aircraft and military titles. I agree with the comment about FSM to point where I stopped getting it as it seemed to be behind the times with it's news and reviews. I'll probably have a flick through this mag at Telford but I doubt I would change my current preference.
helepally
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 12:12 AM UTC
You will be able to buy the magazine directly from Traplet either as single issues or by subscription. The cover price will be £3.95/US$9.99 and the cost of a subscription for Europe will be £54.95 for 12 issues or £105 for 24 issues. Either buy direct from the online shop at www.trapletshop.com or call +44(0)1684 588599
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 01:13 AM UTC
Sounds to be very promising . If it does hit the news stand here in this part of the world . I'll have a peek at it . As with the other guy's I stop buying FSM a long time ago same models , same articles over and over .

Have to agree with Allen though , Scale Aviation Modeller International is the best for us aircraft lovers !!
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 01:22 AM UTC
It's effectively the aviation half of the old Military In Scale (which is staying on as a military-only magazine). That means it should have all the good points of MIS and, perhaps, some of the less good points. I'm certainly going to give it a whirl, as I quite like MIS.

There's more discussion on Britmodeller.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 03:48 AM UTC
I will certainly pick up the first issue at the bookstore (if it is available of course) just to give it a try.

For the rest it will depend on the quality of the magazine but in all honesty also to a large extend on the price.

With the current ECB exchange rate of EUR 1 = GBP 0.91180 I do not want to pay 10 euro for a 4 pound UK magazine as is often the case in Belgium.
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 06:14 AM UTC

....what a rip-off....as you point out the £ is now less than 1 Euro ....on the other hand that now makes Réplic, Jet & Prop, Avions and Le Fana prohibitively expensive in the UK.
personally I'm looking forward to a new aircraft modelling magazine which actually features models, rather than articles on flight sims and Pacific wrecks....however there are now five UK aircraft modelling monthlies ! Surely a situation that cannot last....( ..and I've stopped buying two of them - let's face it..you see most of the new stuff here first ..)
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

....what a rip-off....as you point out the £ is now less than 1 Euro ....on the other hand that now makes Réplic, Jet & Prop, Avions and Le Fana prohibitively expensive in the UK.
personally I'm looking forward to a new aircraft modelling magazine which actually features models, rather than articles on flight sims and Pacific wrecks....however there are now five UK aircraft modelling monthlies ! Surely a situation that cannot last....( ..and I've stopped buying two of them - let's face it..you see most of the new stuff here first ..)

I fully agree. Real "content" is getting spread very thin in the classic media today. Too many TV channels, magazines, newspapers... leading to fierce competition and very tight editorial budgets in combination with greed and short term profit thinking is killing them.

But you are right, with Internet, and Aeroscale we have a replacement which is cheap and fast.

I just wonder when sites like this are going to start "professionalising" offering magazine quality articles on a subscription basis
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 07:23 AM UTC

..you know I have wondered that myself recently - when I was putting together my Hawk review it was quite a bit of work, and it occurred to me that guys like Rowan and Jean-Luc are doing that sort of piece every week!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 10:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

..you know I have wondered that myself recently - when I was putting together my Hawk review it was quite a bit of work, and it occurred to me that guys like Rowan and Jean-Luc are doing that sort of piece every week!

Cheers Neil

That's enough to make me blush (and thanks for the reminder than I've got a load more reviews that I need to get ready for this weekend! LOL!)

But, anyway, Traplet have just confirmed the front cover of M.A.W. Issue #1 and the content looks very tasty indeed!:

All the best

Rowan
helepally
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 10:17 PM UTC
More information will appear on the website in due course (still in its early days at the moment!)

http://www.modelaviationworld.com
 _GOTOTOP