Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Who makes a 1/48 pv1 Ventura?
PanzerMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 298 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 05:39 PM UTC
Hi guys and gals - can anybody tell me if any mainstream companies make a 1/48 PV1 Ventura? I thought Academy did but i googled it and nothing came up.I am aware of the limited run kits but i would be modding it so i dont want to hack up something too expensive
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 06:40 PM UTC
Hi Mike,

I'm afraid no mainstream manufacturer made a PV-1 Ventura in 1:48 scale so far. I only know of the Koster vacuform and Fonderie Miniature short run kits. Good luck to find them and to build them...

Jean-Luc
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 08:27 PM UTC
Hi Mike

The Koster vacuform came out first and the FM kit is apparently based on the same main master parts (I found the same situation when reviewing the two companies' Martin Maryland).

Despite previous disappointments with their products, I bought the FM kit a few years ago and it is actually among their better ones of that period, with very nce resin and etched parts. Koster's vacuform version does offer more versions and a much more interesting set of colour schemes, so I bought a set of Bill's decals (he sells many of the accessories from his kits separately).

Oddly enough, I thought I remembered writing a review of the FM kit, but there's no sign of it in Aeroscale's database. It could be that it was during a lengthy period when my internet connection went down and, by the time it was up and running again, pressure of new reviews meant old ones got pushed to the wayside.

All the best

Rowan
PanzerMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 01:45 AM UTC
Thanks for the info gents I had read a review of the FM kit somewhere it may have been Hyperscale i think? The reason i wanted to know as i just brought a whole lot of great RNZAF decals from a local company that also makes a great set for RNZAF early and late model PV1. I guess ill have to source the FM kit by the looks of it
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 02:40 AM UTC
Nice om Mike

I'll look forward to seeing how you get on. Just remember, when I say the FM kit is one of their better ones, that still means it will take a fair amount of building... I've got it packed away with the rest of my Stash ready to move, so I can't check, but if I remember rightly it'll be a major modelling project. Very satisfying though, because you'll have a finished model of an aircraft that not many other people have in their collections.

Dohh! Now you've got me wanting to build it too!

All the best

Rowan
Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 10:17 AM UTC
Mike, there is a Fonderie Miniature Ventura kit on Trade Me now starting at $60
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 10:27 AM UTC
Hi again

Starting at $60! Even with inflation and exchange rates, that;'s rather more than I paid for mine... maybe I should rethink what my Stash is worth...

To quote my late father in the early '70s when I spent all my pocket money on the latest kit - "You paid HOW much for six pennyworth of plastic!?"

All the best

Rowan

PanzerMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 01:18 AM UTC
Thanks for the heads up on the Trademe listing David Good to see im not the only Kiwi interested in the PV1. Rowan - thanks for the comments and info. I also remember my dad being rather angry when i brought home my first Accurate Min Dauntless and telling him how much it cost man that was 12 years ago - im getting old haha
Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 10:35 AM UTC
No worries Mike,

I would love to add that to mine stash too, but I just spend $200 on plastic... So, I will have to pass on it!
PanzerMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 11:17 AM UTC
Haha sounds like me at the moment , i just brought two Hasegawa P51s and an Italeri Avenger to go with all my RNZAF decals. I have brought kits from the guy selling the Ventura before and he always has interesting stuff but never seems to build it I am watching the auction seeing someone else has bid on it.
 _GOTOTOP