Hosted by Rowan Baylis
A-26B vs. A-26C Invader?
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 02:00 AM UTC
Can someone tell me, how different are the canopies of the A-26B and the A-26C? I want to build a 1/48 A-26B, but canopy masks for the A-26C are a lot easier to find. If I can't get hold of a mask for the B, should I bother ordering a mask for the C? How close are they?
Don't you wish manufacturers would just include the canopy masks with their kits, if it's something with a intricate canopy frame that you can't paint without a mask? It's such a pain, trying to find a seller who carries both the plane you want, and the mask, so you don't have to pay a nine dollar shipping charge twice.
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 09:25 PM UTC
The B and C models were produced in parallel, one with the solid nose full of guns and the other with the glazed nose. Memory fails as to which was which (and quite a lot of airframes few with both noses at one time or other). The canopy design was changed during the production run to improve visibility and pilot escape - the main visible difference is a slight bulge over the pilot's seat.

As the only 1/48 A-26 is the Monogram / Revell / Pro-Modeller job, the masks you're looking at may be designed for that kit in every version it comes in. If memory serves (see above!) some kits have the solid nose and some the glazed nose, and some even have both. Having said that, I think the Pro-Modeller kit may also offer both canopies (I should know, I have one at home ), so your best bet may be to research the particular kit you're interested in and double-check whether its canopy matches the mask. Mind you, a bit of trimming and re-positioning is probably enough to make up for what will be relatively small differences in 1/48.

Since you ask ... personally I can live without masks. I hand-paint the framing very slowly and carefully and, so far, it's worked. If someone's charging you the same postage for a mask as for a kit, I think they're having a laugh and you should look for an alternative supplier!
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 09:50 PM UTC
Lately it seems like everyone wants nine dollars to ship, no matter what you order. It's robbery, charging nine dollars to ship a decal sheet or a mask.
No, Eduard produces a mask for the B and another for the C. I don't know if there is much difference between them, besides the C having the glazed nose.
I bought an Eduard mask for CAs Avro Anson once, and it bore no resemblence to the canopy in my kit. Apparently the different versions of the Anson have very different canopies, something I wish I'd known before. I'm just trying to avoid getting burned again.
 _GOTOTOP