Heinkel He 112V6 - Rest Models 1/48
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 04:20 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Thanks mate!!! I think the effect is not really good, but as good as I could do it. Luckily this is no NMF/BMF finish.

As for the small white border in the pic .. the decal was just put on and I guess I overexposed the decal film with some unsharp masking in post-production ... I just checked the model and there is no such border ... let's have another look tomorrow.

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 05:20 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

I think you're being to modest - the panel effect is really good!

What a pain about the undercarriage! Is the damage very bad?

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What a pain about the undercarriage! Is the damage very bad?

Well I glued it all back on but one leg stands a bit different than the other now and of course it is not as stable as it was before. Luckily Ruslan included the wire, so I had to deal with a manageable number of pieces ...

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 06:26 AM UTC
Hi again

I wondered whether a metal core might be more of a hindrance than a help if the parts were broken.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 11:26 PM UTC
Hello audience

This morning I did a little touch up and sadly the black on the decals is rather a dark brown .. I repaired it with black .. we will see how it turns out after another layer of clear.

re white border: Jean-Luc .. I am not sure there is one or not. I have had a look from different angles and sometimes I believe I see something and another tim i think there is none .. very strange, but nothing I can do without re-spraying and i do not want to damage my silver finish so I rather live with that faint white border .. in case there is one. The photo and post production overexposes the effect !

re u/c: I am very glad there is this steel wire included. Else the parts could never hold the model. i do not know any resin or plastic that could do with such thin struts .. of course if we already had payable carbon micro tube structures .... Due to thes wires the struts broke into two repectively 3 pieces which could be (quite) easily aligned as teh wire and holes still fit .. one was bent a tad thus it stands a little differen .. but I can live with it and will hide it with the wheels and covers ..

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 11:48 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

Glad to see it back on its legs and looking little the worse for wear.

All the best

Rowan
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 12:12 AM UTC
unlucky steffen, twice in two builds. The silver finish is lovely I'm such a sucker for SCW aircraft of all persuasions.
I don't know why I'm building RN and USAAF a/c at the moment.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 07:04 AM UTC
Thanks guys

Well, this time it was not bad luck (like with the Corsair), but just my fault ...

more tomorrow

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 08:31 AM UTC
P.S.

Does anyone know what propeller the V6 had? .. from the picture in the instructions it is pretty clear the V5 had an VDM (the early VDM Logo, similar to the Hamilton Standard logo is clearly visible) sadly I could not make out a/the logo on the V6 yet ...

Thanks!

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 09:09 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

I'm afraid my refs on the He 112 are packed away in a mountain of boxes, so I can't see if they have the info you're after.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 09:53 PM UTC
Hi all

I was again on Ruslans site and from the pix there I am still more confused. The pix show the V6 with a 2 blade prop which has no or retouched (on the photo) prop logos and with a 3 blade prop that has vdm logos ... I found more strange pix on the web, but i trust Ruslan that he got the fuselage right. Comparing with the photos, the model sits a bit high - the oleos are fully extended - but I would never change that due to the fragile u/c

another pic. I have done a light wash and i will break the gloss .. not sure yet if I will go Gunze flat or maybe semi gloss:

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 09:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

.. not sure yet if I will go Gunze flat or maybe semi gloss...

Hi Steffen

I came across this pic that I haven't seen elsewhere while doing a quick hunt for propeller logos last night:

http://i063.radikal.ru/0908/eb/53bca0a2d980.jpg

Apparently, it's the V6 at some point in its career - but there are no details. As you know, I'll be going for an Ikarol finish which will give a clear green tint as suggested by Ken Merrick (note: Ruslan doesn't agree...), but whatever - the photo shows a high gloss finish too, that isn't obvious in the other shots I've seen - it actually has quite a "painted" look.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 09:47 AM UTC
Many thanks Rowan! Intersting picture ... I missed one of those on ebay once .. it went for just 10 Euro .. could still bite my ass, if I could reach it

as for the colour .. i want to go for a rather yellow tint (thus the use of Tamiya titan yellow) .. looking at some of the pix i really think that RLM02 (or the early equivalent ) is also possibly. I know it is high gloss, but I do not like this finish on my models, because IMO this makes the model look more toylike.

Furthermore I build the 2-blade version. Your pic (and another ) shows two strange black stripes per wing but not the spanish insignia under it .. so I stick to the two pix in the instruction that show my configuration ... as I wrote some posts above: the more I try to find out the more questions surface .. so I better just finish it the way I like it best ..

I know, not very scientific and neither correct, but it is just too difficult and time consuming to find all the broken links and pieces in books and on the web and filter it for BS and repeated errors ......

all the best

Steffen
P.S. sometimes i ask myself if Ernst Heinkel sent more than one bird and marked them 5o1 to avoid RLM control ..
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 10:13 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

I'll still go with a gloss clear green finish over n/m - if only to give folks something to argue about over with a pint down the pub!

I love your idea about Uncle Ernst having the last laugh on all of us - I think, of any aircraft manufacturer of his day, he was among the most clued in to marketing and "product placement", so I wouldn't discount your theory...

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 - 02:35 AM UTC
You will hardly believe it, but I still build on this model .. next is to attach all the small rudder link PE parts

here is an instant scene I just photographed .. still some more work to do (pitot is missing too)

BTW .. the small white border J-L picked out seems to be real .. so if you buiild your model, you might want to cut it before application

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 09:53 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

It might not be quite finished, but it still looks great!

I've checked and re-checked the decals that I've got, and there's no sign of the white overlap.

All the best

Rowan
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 10:25 AM UTC
I really like seeing these rare subjects done. So thanks for that Steffen. I've not done any hobby work
in nearly a month, other than research, but seeing completed builds like you've been doing during recently that
keeps that little spark lit in the back of my head. Need get the old fingers sticky again.
This is my favourite of your recent builds.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 08:05 PM UTC
Thank you, Rowan and J-P!!

@Rowan .. maybe it is just that the white layer is "very thick" and thus this is a 3d effect .. i do not know. I'll take a closeup pic when i am done .. which will take a while as my motivatiion (for everything) is down.

@J-P: I tried to keep people on board and maybe motivate them a bit over the summer, which seems has worked as we have quite a few build threads now. Sadly my own inspiration is gone for the moment ... it is a hard year for me (and we have a pretty good welfare system here in good ol G. .. would have been much worse if not)

I am a bit afraid of the PE stuff because I have such a bad spirit i fear to ruin the kit .... we'll see

all the best

Steffen
P.S: i did a bit of compensation .. watch the postman thread in the near future This will also help me to loose a few pounds as there is only peanuts left for the rest of September
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 09:44 PM UTC
Sweet Heinkel Steffen. It's one of the slickest fighters of it's time and you made it justice.

I guess I'll have to start looking at bases too. It really adds to the model.

Tony
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 05:26 AM UTC
Thanks you, Tony!!

as you demanded the photos of the finished model, here they are:

As you can see the lighting conditions changed pretty much during the photo session .. but i guess it is good enough

Edit: I changed the last 3 pix, as I did not really like them

Don't let pic from astern fool you, the linkages are there, but somehow they do not show in the photo (I checked again after seeing the pic as I thought I knocked them off)

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 09:16 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Really nice - and you've made me really determined to have a crack at this beauty too.

I see what you mean about the white fringe being real on your decals in the close-up. The weird thing is that it looks larger in the wide shots - so I think there must be some digital "artifacting" going on there too (it actually seems to extend beyong the white cross, which it obviously doesn't do in the close-up)

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 08:39 PM UTC
Thank you Rowan!

yes the photography and post production (unsharp mask and the like) did have some effect. There is no silvering of the decal (as you see in the close up shot) but one believes to see a corona around the andrews cross in the photos taken from a distance (it looks better in real life )

As for the your own modeling ... why not first finish some other models? La-5FN, Fw 190, Zero ....

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 09:01 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

I took the La-5 back down to the Island last weekend ready to work on after I move. The Fw 190F is packed, but all the bits are rather muddled up in the rush to clear my workshop, so it could be a while before it sees the light of day. The Zero is long-finished - but how well / whether it survives the journey remains to be seen...

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 09:51 PM UTC
Hi Rowan

Hmm, thought J-L mentioned the Zero was not .. my bad.

Do you mean La-5 or La-5FN .. thought you were doing the latter for a certain mag? Can't wait to see it !

BTW seems the model did not turn out as good as the experts here expected. Just your comment and Tonys over at the Alu-campaign .. thanks to the few who agonized this build log!!!

cheers

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 10:22 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

It's the La-5FN - I was just being lazy and saving digital ink.

All the best

Rowan