_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Fokker Dr. I Triplane
mrs_selrach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 225 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 09:01 AM UTC
Today, I am happy to say.. I have bought Revell's 1:28th scale Fokker Dr. I Manfred von Richthofen (Red Baron's) plane, which comes with von Richthofen himself (two.. one from August 1917 and one from April 1918 when he was shot down) and two ground crew.
If anyone has any good websites I can explore for pictures, paint schemes and any other info that would help in this, I would be very appreciative.

(++) (++)
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 03:38 PM UTC
Well, how about my website, with photos of the one I built back in 1997?

http://www.geocities.com/modelcitizen62/anchorroundel.html

Look in the gallery

Tootin my own horn
mrs_selrach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 05:24 PM UTC
Ohhhh.. its the same one! Even same scale! hehehehehehehehe... black and white photos? Or are those color photos?
mrs_selrach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 05:28 PM UTC
Nevermind.. stupid question. #:-)

Beautiful work!! You think it was easier to build than say, an armored tank?

Siggi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 90 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 10:32 PM UTC
Very nice DR1 Mike. I built the exact same one back in 1975. Me and my brother took it onto some waste-ground, loaded it with ballast, tied a string onto it and swing-launched it into orbit. The last flight of The Red Baron. :-)
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 01:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, how about my website, with photos of the one I built back in 1997?

http://www.geocities.com/modelcitizen62/anchorroundel.html

Look in the gallery

Tootin my own horn

Nice website - very cool. I love the paint on your triplane.

Scott
ZoomieE7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 145 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 02:15 AM UTC
Nice build. I did Kempf's back in the late '80's, and made the same error, green streaking over blue (should be green over CDL). Also see www.kithobbyist.com/largescaleplanes/articles/MartinGastel/RevellDr1.htm
You're lucky you got the Revell, as the Hobbycraft Isn't quite as well moulded.
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 02:39 AM UTC
sorry, was busy working and installing my dsl.

Glad y'all liked it.

As for ease of building, it's pretty stress free. The molds are about 40-plus years old by now, so you have to test fit the wings and struts to make sure they're all square to each other. But having two wings fixed directly to the fuselage helps a LOT. She'll need some seam work on the fuselage, but you have to expect that with a 40-year old kit. Don't worry about preserving fabric texture - it should be smooth because it's covered with doped fine-weave linen.

Some plastic rod interior framing (not square strip - the real Tripe fuselage was welded steel tubing) will help things in the front office, and the Spandaus can stand some work or even replacement with Copper State Products guns. (I didn't do that, and my guns are just press-fitted in place until I can get some replacements in this lifetime.)

My first one of these critters was the Werner Voss issue (still in love with that box art!!) and the Kempf tripe was my fourth since 1974.

I may go do a little construction feature this weekend - if i can get some dead time.

HTH
ZoomieE7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 02:48 AM UTC
Mrs. S, you might also check www.wwi-models.org and www.theaerodrome.com/forum/ Are we going to see your Tripe in the WWI aircraft Campaign?
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 05:11 AM UTC
Don't call me Mr - I work for a living

Seriously, I'll be working up the other two stars in the Revell 1/28 lineup for the campaign - the Camel and the SPAD XIII. I've got some extra special schemes I ran across for those two - an Army Air Service SPAD on postwar German occupation duty and an RNAS Camel

I'll post photos of the Dr. I, but that probably won't count as a campaign entry.
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
AeroScale: 217 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 08:39 AM UTC
please enter it in the campaign.also if you're looming for reference the rhinebeck aerodrome is the way to go. http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/
ZoomieE7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 09:22 AM UTC
Mike, a 94th AS "Occupation Scheme?" COOL! Which one???? Any one of 'em will be a bear to do. My hat's off to you!
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 03:45 PM UTC
About two years ago, I was lucky enough to find and print a copy of a gallery feature on occupation SPADs from www.internetmodeler.com.

The feature had the chain lightning, "easter aigg," four-leaf clover and two variations of the flag bus.

Let's just say I ain't touching the lightning or aigg #:-) #:-)
mrs_selrach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 03:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mrs. S, you might also check www.wwi-models.org and www.theaerodrome.com/forum/YaBB.cgi Are we going to see your Tripe in the WWI aircraft Campaign?

Thanks for the URL. Will definitely check it out. And yes, I signed signed up for the WWI Aces aircraft campaign this morning.

mrs_selrach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2003 - 04:02 PM UTC
ZoomieE7: Thanks for the url. I jumped at the Revell as it seems to have a pretty good reputation among the many competitors on the market.

modelcitizen62: Thanks for the tips. Some of what you are talking about I have no clue.. LOL. I am really in the dark about the lingo used for the tri-plane. But I will most probably learn as I go along, and I have Sel's help. And of course, yours and everyone else's help in here.

airwarrior: Thanks for the url. I couldn't resist joining the campaign. I hadn't even thought about it when I bought the kit. Then Sel reminded me about the campaign and I jumped at it. And, there will be pics..

_GOTOTOP