_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Taping? Albatros Question
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 08:28 PM UTC
Hi Guys and girls,
This I hope is a quick easy one for someone who knows.

Building the Roden 1/32 Abli DIII OAW, as some of you know, it has sat at the side a while. My question is and I've scoured my datafiles etc and cant verify...... Are the control surfaces, Elevators etc taped over the ribs of the frame for reinforcement?

I do know the framework for these was metal so I cant imagine the fabric being tacked to it but was it sewn around and reinforced with strips of fabric?

The rason I ask is that I'm laying spare taping decals on the wings to give a sort of relief when the topcoat is done I seem to see vague lines in some pics but nothing definitive but could see reason why areas under stress/friction would be re-inforced.

Hope someone amongst you gurus can cast a little light on this for me

I did want to 5 col loz the plane but the Decal sheet I bought just shatters even as you cut it.......not good so may have to settle for one of the box profiles.

Keith
MerlinV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 602 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 08:51 PM UTC
Hi Kornbeef,

My understandng is that the actual ribs of the elvators of the Albatros were timber, while the outer framing was steel tube. So using tape on the ribs on your albatros should be correct.
Fokkers had all steel framing for control surfaces.

Try giving the lozenge decal a spray with gloss acrylic before you use it.

Cheers,

Hugh
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 10:15 PM UTC
Thanks Hugh, for both tips. I will try the decal trick today, hopefully it'll work, the decal isnt great but its better than none
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2009 - 05:25 PM UTC
From my Albatros D. portfolio.

License built fighter aircraft have always been a fascinating subject for modelers.. OAW stands for the ‘East Albatros Works.’ Entering the war in the fall of 1917 the Alb. D.III (OAW) joined ranks of the back bone of Germany’s Fliegertruppen. Powered by the Mercedes 170 hp D IIIa or the 180hp D.IIIaü engine it served in most of the Jagdstaffels (#1-57) in large numbers. Its main weakness was in the wing design that had to be strengthened at the factory level.

The Eduard’s 1/48 scale Albatros D.III (OAW), kit #8038 was a logical step for them to make. It comes as a basic plastic only kit with out any etched brass or resin parts. The cockpit interior is dressed up with Tom’s Modelworks brass fret #210 set and the Eduard Aftermarket set #48263. The Cabane & Landing Gear Vee-struts were replaced with shape brass rod for scale thickness and better strength. According to current information the 3 tone camouflage is typical for this aircraft type. The rigging is monofilament. Decals for national insignia are kit items. Exhaust horn is hollowed out at mouth. The instrument faces are extras from Eduard’s Albatros D.V kit #8013.

This kit represents the late production Albatros D.III (OAW) flown by Hauptmann Walz from Jenin when he was assisting FA300 and Jasta 55F as a flight commander. In mid to late Oct 1917 with the arrival of additional German Fl. Abt., sixteen Albatros D.III (OAW) also arrived. These aircraft were later formed into “Jasta Felmy” named after their first and greatest commander, “the sportsman” Gerhard Felmy. All tropical D.III fighters were built by O.A.W. The fabric covering here is factory typical.

Alabatros Portfolio
http://www.us-aircraft.com/steve_lawson_gallery3.htm
 _GOTOTOP