Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/72 scale P-39 Airacobra
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 01:14 PM UTC

Hello all. This is a build I completed awhile ago, but yesterday I added some decals to dress up the model.

This is the Academy 1/72 scale P-39 Airacobra. As usual a good little kit, the decals left something, as usual, to be desired. You can see on the right wing on the second picture there is some silvering where the fuel decal goes. I glossed the model well, just couldn't avoid it I guess.

Sorry about the photos being a bit blury, I borrowed a camera for the shots and apparently didn't fully know what I was doing. I hope the images give you an idea as to what I did.

Other than the standard tail code and stars and bars on the aircraft, there wasn't much to the decals so I used some reference materials and added from my spare decals box some numbers on the nose from a P-40. The nose art name is from a P-47, and the propeller decals came from a couple different kits as well. I was able to tell from photos that the Curtiss-Electric prop logos were the ones to use.

Hope you enjoy looking at the build. I enjoyed dressing the girl up some with some additional decals. Russell
mvfrog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 369 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 01:24 PM UTC
Nice Build. I have a 1/32nd P-39 I'd like to build for the Aces II campaign in Russian markings for Pokryshkin's aircraft (54 kills). Good job.

Matt
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 01:29 PM UTC
Thanks Matt. Thought I would add, that base the aircraft is on I made with some black cinder sprinkled over white glue, placed on plywood sprayed black. It is suppose to simulate the terrain, volcanic terrain found in parts of Alaska like the Aleutian Islands. The snow is simply available at any store that carries Woodland Scenics stuff. A little white glue, sprinkle some on and you have patches of snow. Or so that is the idea. Russell
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 01:03 PM UTC
drilling out the gap between the forward landing gear and the wheel makes a hell of a difference
to this kit. I never found the academy decals to be a problem on a glossed finish. It is a great fun kit
one of my favourites in the 18 months I've been back in the hobby.

Are you game to try a light tan wash to bring out the panel lines? These p-39 always look to be
used and abused.

What did you use for the olive drab? Looks nice shade of it.
 _GOTOTOP