Rivet detail
sweatydogz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 114 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2003 - 07:45 AM UTC
Some things drive me mad.
I'm curently building a P38, and the fit around the booms is pretty bad. After sanding the seams i've nearly lost all the rivet detail. So my question is how can i simulate the rivet detail i've lost............. any ideas?
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2003 - 07:54 AM UTC
One thing I use occasionally is a relatively large-diameter hypo needle chucked in a pin vise, with the tip of the needle ground into a punch shape (outsides tapered toward the opening).

I press that onto the location of the missing rivet, give it a twist, and you have a flush rivet impression.

Some people also use a straight pin chucked in the pin vise and press that into the rivet location to give a more raised rivet effect.

HTH
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2003 - 09:08 AM UTC
:-) I use the same home made tool as Mike, works a treat. Something else you can try is small (0.2-0.3mm) drill. Just a single turn gives you an indentation. You could also make a tool from the cog in a watch, you need a handle that will enable the cog to rotate and a plastic straight edge (metal will damage the cog). All these techniques require practice. :-)
I have only ever used the first 2 :-)
Mal
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2003 - 12:45 PM UTC
Hey Mal, good to meet you finally and also good to find someone that cheats like I do

Enjoyed the pre-shading article. I'd thought about trying it on my Spit, but the club contest loomed near.

slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2003 - 02:24 PM UTC
Ditto - what Mal said. I've seen his version of it and it looks really good.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 08:03 AM UTC
Hi Mike, nice to meet you. Hehe cheating is part of the game

Quoted Text

Enjoyed the pre-shading article. I'd thought about trying it on my Spit, but the club contest loomed near.

Still haven't quite got the look i'm after, I will be using white plastic primer on my Hurri I'm doing for the Battle for Britain campaign. I hope that will make the difference :-)
Am I right in assuming that you attend the IPMS Scale Modelworld? I tried to drum up interest for as many as possible Armorama members to meet up there. Only a couple of takers. I'm assuming that not many UK residents read the thread, so I intend to try a gain later. It would be nice to meet the members in person :-)
Mal
PS we will all have to buy a T-shirt :-)
sweatydogz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 114 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 07:43 PM UTC
Thanks everyone,
will give it a go
 _GOTOTOP