_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Republic P-35 (J 9 SwAF)
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 01:15 AM UTC
Here is my J 9 from 8:th flygflottilj in Barkarby outside Stockholm 1944. I have had it 75% ready for at least a year now, and decided it had to get finished before my Thunderbolt in the Cave Tonitrum campaign.

For Swedish airforce afficionados this is a "find five faults" since I realized that I had the paint sheme and decals ready, but they didn't really match each other in my references. But then again - did anything match during the war.

She will be a nice little sister to the Jug anyway.

Of course, you think you are ready, but you never are. Here it becomes obvious that the cockpit framin needs some touch ups and I guess a coat of flat varnich won't hurt either.

Anyway, she's good enough to be standing on her own legs on the shelf, and now I have nothing - nothing at all - on the workbench except the two running campaigne here. One thunderbolt and one 190. Long time since that happened.

See you
Tony
LuckyBlunder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 08:45 PM UTC
Nice job, Tony. What kit is that?
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 10:53 PM UTC
Hi Steve, and thanks for looking.

It's the Academy 1:48. It gives the options of a NMF P-35 from the Philippines or the Swedish J 9 that is kept in our air force museum. You can see that one here. I preferred a green one, so I went for other markings.

I have one more of these, and that will be my first attempt of a conversion. It will be one that flew at the Philippines with swedish crowns but red/vhite stipes on the rudder. I will try to build it partially assembled, a bit like this one.

Cheers
Tony
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 03:07 AM UTC
Nice job Tony
Im glad you got it finished in the end and good luck with the next one!
Nige
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 03:36 AM UTC
Thanks Nige.

Next Seversky will include many "firsts", so I guess I'll have to find a yearlong campaign for it.

Tony
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 03:41 PM UTC
Tony

I am building mine in Swedish markings, too. I will use the mottled camouflage.

Good model!

Fred
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 07:36 PM UTC
Yes. I guess I should have done that too, but this was painted during my rattle can period.

Good luck with yours. You'll find pics of different mottled finishes in the link I included in a post above. The coloured roundels with the eagle in it are just so cool.

One thing to be aware of though. If you look at my landing gear fairings you see that they are cut off. That was only supposed to be done if it's built gears up. However, the fairings will collide with the thin gear retraction rods, so they will have to be thinned from the inside, or cut slightly at the sides, if you build it with gears out.

_GOTOTOP