_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Propellant Can Leaks
GunLayer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 37 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hi there

Presently building my first model as a "grown-up" and my first in almost 30 years (1/48 Airacobra Red Star) and am looking for advice on how to prevent air leaking out of air brush propellant cans.

At present I have a Badger 200 air brush, a nylon hose and a standard Badger propellant can regulator. I connected up a can of propellant last week to spray the cockpit and when I went back to spray the inside of the fusalage a couple of days later ... the can was empty I was gutted and as I had no spare can to hand I'm now losing vaulable modeling time whilst I await a delivery of a couple of new cans.

I'm going to get some PTFE thread seal tape to wrap around the fittings in the hope that this will at least slow the rate of leakage - anyone tried this already?

I see too that you can buy a brass precision CNC machined propellant can regulator which is advertised as leak free - anyone tried one of these? It certainly looks like it should be better than the standard Badger regulator which is part plastic, but again has anyone direct experience of using such?

I also assume that a propellant can regulator should act as an on/off mechanism. Correct assumption?

All advice gratefully received .... and I really do know I need to invest in a compressor for the long term but until I "prove" to my other half this modeling lark isn't a flash in the pan, I need to continue with the cans for now. However, if I can resolve this leaking propellant can problem and get a few models under my belt by Christmas, perhaps Santa will look favourably on my letter asking for an air brush compressor

Cheers Emma
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 03:04 AM UTC
I don't have good news for you.

How much are you paying per can? The equivalent of $10-13 USD each, right? You're now in for $30 -40 on air and you haven't finished your first model. The math just doesn't work.

Further, cans loose pressure horribly fast as they cool making for a very frustrating painting session.

For airbrushing, a complressor is really the only way to go unless you find a large air tank and someooen to fill it up.
Henk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 03:17 AM UTC
Emma,

to answer your question, I read from your post that you connect the regulator to the can, and have left it connected after you finished painting? That would explain, because the plastic regulator will slowly leak the pressure over a few days, even if you have 'turned it off'. You have to unscrew the regulator, because the can has a self sealing one -way valve, which won't leak. Don't use the seal tape, because that will only make a mess. It is meant for permanent connections, not temporary one.
Don't bother buying another regulator, but put that money towards a compressor. Al is right, in the end a compressor is the only way to go. On ebay you can get one from as little as £30... depending on your circumstances you can buy a cheap one, which tend to be noisy, or silent one, which tend to cost more. Expect to pay between £100 and £200 for a good compressor that will stand up to regular use, without waking up the rest of the house.

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 03:27 AM UTC
Emma , Al and Hank are right . you really are wasting your money on those this . I used them for the longest time and there was no pay off from them . Stop , don't waste any more cash on fittings will not help at all . After you are done spraying disconnect every thing from the can .

To aid in the cans lasting longer , use a small bowl or saucer with warm water in it and place the can in that . This will help keep the can warm and not lose pressure .

A air tank is a better way to go , but the cost for some of those can add up as well . You will need a water trap and regulator as well .

Wait for Santa ..............................
GunLayer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 03:28 AM UTC
Thanks guys ... I hold my hands up to "user error" I did indeed leave the air brush connected to the can as it never occurred to me that the can would be self-sealing ... ohps! I'm a numpty

And I am working very hard on getting that compressor .... honest guv! And if the charm offensive doesn't work , I'll have to change tactics ... perhaps!
eerie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
AeroScale: 106 posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2008 - 11:43 PM UTC
Hi Emma,
I m a propel modeller too. I ve work on 3 projects with my Badger 350 II. All 3 were from propel cans air. I ve used Tamiya, Mr Color, Badger and now a propel can meant for artist work. The cans are quite handy a actually moved ur skills away from the usual brush and Tamiya Spray paint which you ll be adopting the "spray & pray" method.

Like all of them above i too advice you to invest in a compressor. As for me, my modelling work are quite low key thus the propel cans works for me now. I m also running out of space to store a compressor. Maybe one day, i ll move to a compressor too.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 05:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To aid in the cans lasting longer , use a small bowl or saucer with warm water in it and place the can in that . This will help keep the can warm and not lose pressure .

Heating the can up by placing it in warm water will increase the energy level of the air inside the can which will try to expand. As this is not possible because it is in a closed container the result will be that the pressure in the can goes up.

I have no doubt that this works, I am also very sure that this is pretty dangerous. You do NOT want to be in the neighbourhood when such can explodes!!!!

The best advice that I can give you is to buy a small compressor. These things cost +/- 180 euro in Belgium (don'tknow about the rest of the world). Or you could use a general purpose compressor combined with a water trap and a pressure reduction system.

GunLayer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 08:08 AM UTC
Thanks for the updated comments guys ... I'm going to use all the replies here to best to effect to convince Father Christmas that all I need in my Christmas stocking this December is an air brush compressor. And how many girls are that easily pleased?
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:18 PM UTC
You might want to consider this set-up,

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/review/2691

I got one on Rowans review and have used it for about a year with no problems whatever.

The compressor is extremely reliable, I have had it running for a couple of hours at a time with no ill effects. it comes with a built in moisture trap, but you do need to buy hoses but they are only a couple of quid. The airbrush is good too, and parts are cheap to. Plus they are UK based.
GunLayer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 01:05 AM UTC
Thanks for the review link and the recommendation Airgunner. The link's been emailed to Santa already! Here's hoping .....
 _GOTOTOP