_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Decals application
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 08:10 PM UTC
Hello!
I am finishing a Hunter in British Markings and I would like to know if it is possible to make the decals adhere to the surface so well that they "enter" the panel lines. Shall I use products like Microset and Microsol? Or is there and alternative (and cheaper) way? I read that using acrylic thinner does something like fixing the decals... or is it better for me to get some liquids?
RichPrag
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 11:52 PM UTC
yeah get microset and microsol. First you put a little bit of Mset on the model, then put the decal on, then gently put some Msol on that and then leave it. It will go all crinkly but thats what its supposed to do, and then it will go in the panel lines and look painted on and the crinkles disappear. I think you can do it again if it doesn't work first time.
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 12:48 AM UTC
This is my method - it works fine for me, but there is a many ways to do it so ...

1: gloss surface makes it easier - so i allways give the surface a coat of future.

2: water - i ad a few drops of future to the water i use to dissolve the glue

3: apply - press all moisture out with a dry cloth

4: when dry - cut up the decal following the panellines - makes the sink in better.

5: gently brush with liquid glue - I use humbrols thin glue - carefull - if you stroke too hard or too long you will tear the decal apart - let dry - and reapply if needed. The glue does the same as the settingsolution

6: coat with future.

7: admire your work
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 01:58 AM UTC
Thanks guys!
 _GOTOTOP