_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
thinning enamels for brush painting
RichPrag
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 02:05 AM UTC
Hi all. What can i use for thinning enamel paints? I am currently using white spirit, and this is fine apart from when i have finished tha main painting and i'm painting effects (like exhaust stains, heated metal as on flanker exhausts etc), and the white spirit takes the paint beneath off, effectively cleaning the model.

If anyone has any ideas or tips that would be much appreciated.
Rich
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 - 03:57 AM UTC
After appling your main coat seal this with a clear coat future floor wax works the best . Let this dry rock hard and then do your wathering . the wax will stop the thinner from attacking the under laying coat and lifting it .
Future can be use straight out of the bottle for brush painting and can be thinned with water or isoproply alcohol , also can clean your brushes with thi as well when using future .

Hope this helps .
RichPrag
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 01:03 AM UTC
ah yeah thanks for that, good tip. I have some future so thats all good. Dunno why i didnt think of that!

Do you mean clean brushes with isopropyl alcohol after brushing future? I have just been rinsing them with water up until now.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 01:50 AM UTC
I tend use an acrylic for the finishing, or vice versa. Beware that isopropyl is a pretty hot solvent too, so it too it will affect the finish of not fully-cured enamel. Might not strip it but cause blistering which is worse. Future makes a brilliant barrier coat.
 _GOTOTOP