_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Cockpit help.
Belt_Fed
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 07:34 AM UTC
I have two questions both relating to cockpit panels.

Number one: What is the best way to apply a cockpit panel decal? Everytime i try, the film protrudes from the panel, and i can never get the gages to line up in their depressions. Should i cut the dials out? How do i do this? a punch and die set< scissors?

Number two: i lost my cockpit panel for my Accurate Miniatures P-400 Airacobra (its a re-box of Eduards). Are there any aftermarket replacements?
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have two questions both relating to cockpit panels.

Hi Jon!

Quoted Text

Number one: What is the best way to apply a cockpit panel decal? Everytime i try, the film protrudes from the panel, and i can never get the gages to line up in their depressions. Should i cut the dials out? How do i do this? a punch and die set< scissors?

There´s several ways to do this, I´ll try to give some advice.

First, paint the instrument Panel (IP) gloss black to prepare for the decal(s).
Soak the decal in really HOT water and wet the IP with a little Micro-set before placing the decal over the IP.
Use a q-tip to gently(!) press out any excess water, then immideatly use some Micro-sol on the IP-decal.
The decal will probably react by wrinkling, whatever you do, DO NOT TOUCH THE DECAL!
Take a break and return when the decal is dry, it should now be smooth and have snuggled down in the recesses (bezels).
Repeat if necessary.

Sometimes the decal do not fit very well, I have discoverd that several times myself!

You can always buy (individual) instrument decals from Mike Grant, they are perfectly printed and are very easy to use.
They come for both WWII Propeller AC and Modern Jets, made in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32.

http://www.mikegrantdecals.com/Instruments.html

Or you can buy Eduard´s pre-painted etch, will cost you some dollars more but they are really worth the money IMO.

Quoted Text

Number two: i lost my cockpit panel for my Accurate Miniatures P-400 Airacobra (its a re-box of Eduards). Are there any aftermarket replacements?

Well, see above.

But I´ll check my spares box, I believe I might have one left from my build as I got the complete Etch as the kit was a profi-pack.
I assume you mean the plastic part, or are you talking about the decal?

Cheers!

Stefan E
Belt_Fed
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 09:56 AM UTC
Thank you very much Stephan. I amtalking about the actual panel, not the decal for the eduard kit. I really appreciate it, but you do not need to search your spares. I will probably buy Eddy's (Eduard's) pre-painted etch set when the time comes. Once again, thank you!
 _GOTOTOP