_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
HobbyBoss F4F-3 finished (finally)
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 06:16 AM UTC
Hi again Rowan

i will look for some stuff in an auto store ... the problem with the Chameleon stuff will be the import to Germany .. either it it is prohibited or it will cost twice the price of the product (most probably)

Hi Allen

Thanks mate, but luckily there were two more on the Aeromaster sheet . I have tried oven cleaner once on another rmodel, but that did not work at all .. so I guess the rules and regulations are much "consumer friendly" here in Germany .. it has to have so few of the stuff that does the job that it can no longer work. .. but I will have a look again.

Then there is break fluid, but this stuff cannot be disposed easily ...

we'll see ... the Wildcat comes together, which is the good news of the day

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:39 PM UTC
Hi again

well, now it begins to take shape again ... but ... sometimes it's good to take wip shots .. the numbers on the fuselage are out of angle and distorted .. too much decal softer I guess. Luckily they could be removed with some clear Tesa tape .. amazingly without damaging the paint job .. the underlying Klear layer pays off the first time (already had one on top of the decals, but that was no problem) .. hope to get that beast finished one day ...

cheers

Steffen
Yeti123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
AeroScale: 278 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 01:55 PM UTC
Steffen:
I think the build looks great. You inspired me and I ordered one myself. Sounds like I should stay away from the kit decals.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 03:46 AM UTC
I am closing in on my "2nd completion"

the modle got the decals and a sealing layer of clear (yesterday) .. now it is time to get dirty ..

I used water colours on this model again (I also use oils as of late .. but not this time)

cleaning startd when the paint has dried

cheers

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 02:30 AM UTC
Well here we go again

Wildcat redux

I replaced the guns - all 4 - with steel tube ... it is a bit too large (0.8mm about same size as the HB plastic) but the 0.4mm stuff just looked to thin and I have nothing in between. The antenna on the left wing is the HB part reglued .. same on the fuselage .. the thing under the fuselage is again tubing.

I made a small mistake that I corrected meanwhile ... wer es zuerst findet kriegt ein Bienchen ...

If it has another glaring fault just keep it for yourself .. no tengo ganas to redo it again.

cheers

Steffen
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 04:08 AM UTC
I must say Steffen this turned out really well , an excellent build my friend ! Love the weathering job on the underside .
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 04:31 AM UTC
Hi Steffen!

A very well done build, indeed!
You also did a great recovery, I would have consigned it to the bin!

I like the colors on the second take much better, looks more like the early camouflage to me!

Such decal problems as you encounterd are not fun to deal with!
Some manufacturer seems to be completly incompetent to make decent decals.
At least Academy and Italeri have realized this and now gives you Cartograph decals in almost every box!

I will give my HB ´Cat a set from Yellow Wings, as the decals in the box are incorrect for my bird.

Cheers!

Stefan E

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 04:41 AM UTC
Hi Terri and Stefan

many thanks for your kind comment!!

Stefan .. the colours changed a bit due to the photography. This is not Intermediate blue -- it looks like this in the pix but it is darker .. though a touch more blueish than the first try. The photo light I use has a bit of a yellow tint (I will get better equipment when I have a job again, this is just a stop gap solution)

If I undestand that right these were colours mixed on the boat and not a standard scheme (yet)

Quoted Text

The F4F-3 was originally delivered from the factory in the pre-war "golden wings" scheme. These airplanes were repainted overall light grey in the fall of 1940. The F4F-3As and the late-production F4F-3s were delivered from the factory in the overall grey scheme, and were repainted in October 1941 with the upper non-specular blue-grey color. Thus, the camouflage pattern differed from unit to unit, and you should look at photographs of the F4F-3 you want to do to determine that. Fortunately, there are several photos of VF-3 Wildcats, and it is clear that the demarcation was at about the centerline of the fuselage for this unit's airplanes.

source: http://www.modelingmadness.com/reviews/allies/us/cleaverf4f3.htm

I had the colours not available thus I used my own mix .. my bird still looks a bit different than TCs .. more blueish. I should have added a touch more black .. but all in all I am o.k with the build.

all the best

Steffen

chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 03:58 AM UTC
This tale of woe and trepidation has a very happy ending- she looks great, mate! I was tempted when I saw this at the shop, but I think I'll build my Tamiya version before I go for one. Cheers!

chuk
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 04:07 AM UTC
Thank you Chuck!

I know it is below your standard, but I just have to finish a model from time to time and I have a biiiiig Fw 200 project that changed my ming about correction and AM stuffed in a model. I try to get only products that improves a model (in my opinion) ....

hope to see your Helldiver join the Pazifikgeschwader soon

all the best

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP