_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Canopy Help
Belt_Fed
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 01:04 PM UTC
I need help with canopies. First off, what is the most stress free way to mask a canopy? My buddies tell me Bare Metal Foil is the best way to go. Is this true?

also, how do you mask the cockpit? Should i glue the masked canopy on the model then spray it?

(Now do you know why im an armor modeler?? )

Thanks in advance

jon
SuccorPhysh
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 82 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 05:51 PM UTC
John,
I just tried using the bare metal foil for the first time and found it worked really well. I could not find the chrome colored foil and went with a darker color. I burnished it down to the canopy with a q-tip and found it really highlighted where the panel lines were. In a bright light, the dark color showed the seam between the glass and panel really well. It cut easily with a new blade.
I have not finished painting the aircraft, well actually I screwed up part of it and have been sitting here trying to figure out how to fix it, but I think the canopy will look good. Its the rest of the finish I am now upset with.
I think you should try it.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 08:32 PM UTC
Hi Jon

The most stress free method is to use Eduards precut Kabuki-Tape masks. (but in some rare cases the do not fit well)

I used BMF for a long time, but this leaves a pretty strong layer of residue on the canopy. This can be easily removed, but since I dip my canopies in Future/Klear this does no longer work as the Klear will also be removed.

I have changet to Tamiya Tape since --- when no eduard mask is available. these come in 5mm, 10mm, 16mm and 40, (the 40mm stuff is somehow different and not as good as the other) Then I recently found AIZU Micron Masking tape at hlj. It is the same stuff but comes in smaller sizes. I have 0,4mm; 0,7mm, 1mm; 1,5mm and 2,5mm about 200Yen for 5m.

Mal (Holdfast) had also found some similar stuff in GB (even cheaper IIRC) and he does masks on his own, so he will probably have some more hints for you.

cheers

Steffen
Belt_Fed
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:18 AM UTC
How would you remove the residue.....would soaking it is water work? would that effect acrylic paint?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 11:28 AM UTC
Hi Jon

Honestly I do not know, I always polished it out with Revell Modelwax. I have read that rubbing it with the finger would work, but it never did for me ...

cheers

Steffen
Belt_Fed
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 12:42 PM UTC
i decided to save a few dollars and practice on something else using something else.

I found some 1mm thick tape- i think its for pin striping on a car- in my mother's friends's divorced husband's tacklebox. He was a modeler (its a very long story.)

Anywho, i tested out laying a piece of tape along the sides of the ribs and filling the window with "scales" of tiny masking tape squares. I just masked a window of the nose on a black widow....it was relativly easy, but time consuming. Ill test paint it later.
Belt_Fed
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 05:50 AM UTC
i test painted the canopy flat black and removed the masks. It looks ok. Thanks for all the help. I would love to buy pre cut masks, but paint is eating away all my funds!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 08:12 AM UTC
I think that precut Kabuki-Tape masks are excellent, but I never buy them, I only use them if they are supplied with the kit. It seams that many modellers find masking canopies one of the worst jobs when building model aircraft. This is understandable, as you don't find out if you have been successful until near the end of the build when you can finally take off the masking. If it hasn't worked well you may have ruined the model or at least caused youself more work. I've been there, so I know it aint a good thing
Kabuki tape is good because it doesn't leave a residue, I use Parafilm-M for the same reason. However Parafilm-M requires more effort to use effectively, again I have made the mistakes to know.
I was recently asked if I could make canopy masks for a 1/24 scale Bf 109 with my "miracle Paint Masks" (see side bar ad). I could but I would need to have the actual canopy to make masks to fit, but I don't have the kit. (look for Trev (ruby6990) ) because, of course I directed him here. I explained to him how to use Tamiya tape by cutting into thin strips, but It would be best if I were to show some pics. I thought I had some and I said that I would show Trev but either I haven't or I can't find them. I always intended to do an article on masking canopies, so maybe I should. In the meantime I will try and get a couple of pics to show the technique using Tamiya tape. A picture paints a thousand words.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2008 - 08:55 AM UTC
I did a quick masking job on this 1/48 Bf 109 E canopy and windscreen.

The canopy is masked, as you can see using Parafilm-M. The who;e thing is masked and it took less time than the one side window on the windscreen, which isn't even finished. This is the other reason that I use Parafilm. However, for the novice the Tamiya tape method is almost fool proof I think that the picture and the explanation says it all? If not give me a shout.
Above all, no matter which method that you use, make sure that you clean the canopy parts, to remove mould release agent (mild soapy water is fine, but let it dry. I use Isopropynol, which dries in seconds.) I also dip my canopies in Klear.
Masked using Parafilm.
BROCKUPPERCUT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 02:26 PM UTC
i just found by accident a pretty good way. after i mop& glowed my 1/48 f-18 canopy i accidently got some cheap white glue (that i got from a cheap dollar store type outlet) on the canopy (glue that dries white not clear like elmers), i tried peeling off the glue with my dull exacto blade (i know pretty stupid) .
it came off with no problem , then i glued around the areas i was going to paint and used areally sharp exacto to cut off the excess glue and it came out pretty good
also you could use playd'oh . try it out on a scrap canopy , floor wax it then cover in playdoe , see if it works without being too messy
CombatKrieg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 517 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 09:59 PM UTC
One question... How do you go about removing cement on your canopy lol... Cos i accidentally got some on my Apache's canopy.
 _GOTOTOP