_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Canopy
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 11:33 AM UTC
I'm on the home-run of my Red Tail P-51but have come across a small problem............ The wind-shield fits but there are gaps. I have to press real hard to decrease the gap on one side, and have tried holding it tightly in place like this with liquid poly....Needless to say, it didn't work.

I have some white glue but don't think it will be stong enough and leave me with big gaps................any ideas?

Thanks
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 02:00 PM UTC
Hi Alex , you have a few options that you can try . First sand the inside of the windscreen and test fitting as you go . Or you will have to use filler where the gap is , glue in place and the use white glue as the filler or you can use kristal kleer from micoscale . Liquid paper , it works really well drys fast and sands easy and takes paint very well . I hope this helps you out , this is what I use when this happens .
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 07:22 PM UTC
another way to use filler:

with testors white putty or mr surfacer, just fill the gap as normal and let dry.

instead of sanding, use a q-tip soaked in isopropyl alcohol to smooth it out and get it off the areas it shouldn't be. none of the above will attack the plastic. if you get a haze, just clean better with a clean q-tip or cloth and more alcohol.
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 09:38 PM UTC
And another option altogether: press the canopy into place and secure that edge with CA glue, then when it's set, repeat on the other side. Only two pre-conditions for this: one, only if it'll fit this way; and two, it's best to coat the canopy in Future / Klear first - inside and out - to prevent fogging.
 _GOTOTOP