Hosted by Rowan Baylis
IL-2 Sturmovik cockpit ?'s
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 03:57 PM UTC

I have an old Accurate Miniatures IL-2 single seat kit in the stash. I was looking at some online builds of this kit when I noticed that the different models have varying cockpit colors - some are greenish-gray, some are bluish-gray, and I've even seen one in silver (bare metal? aluminum?). I saw Gregax's very nice IL-2M build here on the forum, and his cockpit is greenish-gray (or greyish-green).

I cannot find anything in my reference material or online indicating the proper cockpit color for this bird. Any suggestions?

TIA.

-YL
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 171 posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2008 - 12:39 AM UTC
Il-2 cockpits were finished in IMUP Blue-Grey Metal Primer, which is very bluish. They were NOT - I REPEAT NOT - painted RLM 02.

For a good paint, turn to White Ensign Models:
http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatalog/WWII_Soviet_Colours.html
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2008 - 04:21 AM UTC

Thanks for the tip, Matt!

-YL
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 08:39 AM UTC
I'm probably a bit late for this response, but paint in early Soviet vehicles of all kind are known today for their lack of precision and overall variations in color. Virtually no Soviet factories had the same paints as other factories. You'll see huge variations in just about every kind of vehicle. In addition to that, the Soviets have kept their "standardized" paint color secret for years. Even after Gorby's Perestroika movement ("openness," when the USSR attempted to calm its people by opening up state secrets), many colors were either catalogued incorrectly or were simply lost through the years. In my opinion, I think that you would be okay using almost ANY kind of grey, silver, green, blue, or anything you see fit...EXCEPT, of course, for RLM02!
 _GOTOTOP