_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Where to start? Help for a new modeler.
Belafonte
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 01:46 PM UTC
Hello,

This is my first post here. I am from armorama or at least that is where I started out. I am newer to modeling. I have built maybe two kits at the most on my own. My first models were built with my father, since then he has stopped with the hobby. Right now I am building a 1/32 21st century A6m3 Zero type 22. I am almost done with putting the fuselage together and was wondering if anyone can help me out on the painting/clear coat/weather side of things.

I guess what I am asking is in what order do you paint the body, clear coat, and/or weather? How do you fill seams and such?I have tried a few weathering techniques but none that I am happy with. I am using model master enamel paints. If anyone could give a new modeler tips it would be great, thanks.

JD
B-17-guy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 05:08 PM UTC
I just do paint and weather, I dont use clearcoat.

Seeing as how you are using MM enamels, try using ordinary water color's to weather, if you dont like it, wipe it off and start over. Just becareful around decals.
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
AeroScale: 131 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 05:35 PM UTC
I've never built one of those kits, but here's my order of building. First I paint any interior details and the inside of the fuselage, engine, etc. Then I paint large exterior areas the base or primary color, for example on a P51D it would be natural metal. Then I assemble the kit and fill, leaving off the canopy. Then I would detail paint the exterior. Then final assembly of small details, etc. and any touch up. Then I would decal and weather, to the extent weathering is needed, I like to barely weather aicraft. Thats basically my routine, it does vary some from kit to kit, I hope that this helps. I'm sure that others have their own basic orders, but this works for me.

John
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 05:45 AM UTC
Hi Jacob and welcome . To answer your question everyone here has their own way of doing things it's basically all the same . i paint my cockpits first and weather them , before the halfs are glued together i spray a thin coat of flat clear to seal everything . When that is dried a little dusting of pastel chalk . Halfs are then glued together . Filling seems I use Squadron white putty , the green one is okay , but white will take the paint better ( easier to cover ) . Small amount long the seem you don't need much depending on if there is a step our any caps . after sanding I will go and polish the areas with finer sanding paper ending in the use of a polishing stick from Squadron . The area has to be as smooth any samll marks will show through the paint . small details are left of until painting the airframe is done . I always prime first , this will show anything that might need touch up or redoing . pait the airframe to what colour you want . let this dry for at least 24 hours or longer , Since you are using oil paints wait 2 days . It can take up to 7 days for oil paint to dry all the way through . Next step is to clear coat it . Future floor wax works the best . it can be diluted with water or rubbing achol .. when dry apply decals and let them dry . Weathering will take time to master , look at photos of the subject you are building areas around the engine and landing grea will have oil and grease stains . You can use a wash of dirty thinner of black , brown . when this has dried go back over with a q-tip dampping with thinner and wipe the surface . The wash will stay in the panel lines etc, etc ..... Finally dull coat the model and add the final details . I hope this helps you out , good lusk and happy modelling
Belafonte
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2008 - 12:58 PM UTC
Thank you all for your answers. All of them have helped me in one way or another. Again, thank you. I hope to apply these tips to building my Zero.

JD
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2008 - 02:28 PM UTC
I do the finish paint, then use future over the entire model to seal and protect it. It also gives a good base that helps keep the decals from silvering. Next is the decals, another coat of future, (chiping if desired) and then the wash with oil paints. When the wash is completed , I usually let it sit for a day or two. Then weathering, using pastels, or pigments. Last is the final build consisting of the delicate parts (Antennae), and clear parts.

If you hang around here enough, you will pick up a lot of hints. If you see something you like, ask the builder how (s)he did it. This is a great forum for learning and teaching. Remember, post pictures. But don't take criticism as a bad thing. It is meant to point out things you might want to change in the future. On the other hand, the criticism may be all positive. And that is much better.

The main thing about this site is to have fun, and get better. Hope to see more posts from you in the future.
 _GOTOTOP