_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1/72 German Bomber Lozenge 1918.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2008 - 10:27 AM UTC
Greetings all I just got this from Orion miniatures.

"Hello Stephen,
I’d like to send you a copy of our most recent release of Staaken Lozenge. Where do I send them?

Thanks Derry"

[email protected]

http://www.orionminiatures.com

Greetings all;

The decal sheet (single) arived for my review and I will probably apply it to the spare undersurface wing sections of the Contrail build I did not use. Normally when you purchase these I believe they come six sheets to an order.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2008 - 04:45 PM UTC
$79 for six sheets at first sounded a little steep for my liking. But on second thoughts i guess a single sheet from most aftermarket suppliers cost around the $10 mark or so. It is just that i never buy 6 at once.

They are made by microscale so i don't doubt the quality. I'll wait and see how the Gotha ones look before i decide on these ones i think.

Andrew
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2008 - 04:58 PM UTC
Andrew you are very correct. Also everyone should remember that your paying for accuracy. There are multiple colours here like any lozenge. The more colours the more the cost to maufacture. If you want it to look like the original in scale, sometimes it takes more than your skill.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:16 PM UTC
I began application of the Orion decals during the evening of May 21. These sheets (8 9/16" X 5 15/16") are smaller than the old Americal sheets (8" X 10") but they represent the painted look of the Staaken lozenges very well. The 4 step instructions suggest that you should apply a gloss coat first and when dry apply the water slide decals over this.

As with most modern German lozenge decals the base carrier of this sheet is clear. Normally this allows for the decal to be reversed for interior cockpit walls. If these represented printed lozenge that would be ok but they don't. The Staaken fabric on 17 of 18 machines was painted. So the interior wall would be CDL (Clear Doped Linen) in most cases.

Never the less these decals adhere in high quality. They easily replace anything in 1/72 scale for German 1918 Bombers that has come before.

My wing panels is drying at this moment so I should have an image or two to share soon. I used one sheet and had plenty left over to do half of a second wing panel. You will have eight wing panels to do and the four fuselage sides and dual whale tail w/whale tail and rudders. To do a whole Staaken there won't be much to spare out of the 6 sheets you will get in the purchase. So the builder will need to plan their work carefully.

The instructions recommend Micro Sol & Set and so do I. More to come.
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 02:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Staaken fabric on 17 of 18 machines was painted. So the interior wall would be CDL (Clear Doped Linen) in most cases.

This is interesting, yesterday someone stuck a Staaken 52/17 kit in my mailbox

As I have no reference on this monster this was nice news to me, never liked big decals anyway, but handpaint this one Hmmmm, nooop I´ll stick to decals from Roden I din´t pay 79$ for the Staaken

Larsa
Kitboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 256 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2008 - 04:37 AM UTC
I can imagine Larsa! . Wether or not the amount is justified for an Orion decalset, the total costs for a finished Staaken with these decals are incredibly high in my opinion.

Cheers, Nico
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2008 - 02:58 PM UTC
Having built one vacuform Staaken I can say the Roden injected kit is far and away the best version. I remember spending about 60.00 (@ 10.00 a sheet )on the Americal Gryphon night splinter lozenge to cover the whole vacuform kit. It just depends on what you want to build.

If you don't have a place to display it when your finished it would be impractical to invest in the build.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 02:14 AM UTC
Now I will never have the room to display a large aircraft . For the cost of the decals I don't find that to be all that much considering the amount you get for your money . So the decals are while worth the investment .
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 05:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now I will never have the room to display a large aircraft . For the cost of the decals I don't find that to be all that much considering the amount you get for your money . So the decals are while worth the investment .

I don´t have the room for it, but I´ll have the Swedish Airforce Museum 15 Kilometer from home, and we from IPMs-Sweden have a display there
As I told you someone stuck the Staaken in my mailbox (Santa )
It´s a build for a friend, so the cost is on him

Larsa
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:13 PM UTC
Greetings all;

Here are the images of the first sample applied to a vacuform lower surface wing panel from a 1/72 Contrail Zep Staaken.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:14 PM UTC
Here is another image.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:15 PM UTC
Another without angles.
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:20 PM UTC
That´s sure looking good, I´m sad over I´ll had to go with the kit decals in the Staaken. The owner of the kit dosn´t lend me the money for this sheet of lozenge.

Larsa
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2008 - 11:27 AM UTC
I met with Derry at Torcan last week and had a chance to see his decals. they are of superb quality with ecxellent register. Yes the sheets are smaller than other sheets,but the quality makes up for that. Derry is a great guy and certainly knows his onions when it comes to the Staaken.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 - 03:49 AM UTC
Greetings all;

I have the lozenge decals the company owner mentioned and we will see a build beginning sometime in the fall / autumn with our own Lars Qvarfordt callsign "Repainted."

He has this fine little kit and I will pass these and my left-overs to him. Lars has a bit of talent with WWI aviation and we will be in for a very decent build.
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Greetings all;

I have the lozenge decals the company owner mentioned and we will see a build beginning sometime in the fall / autumn with our own Lars Qvarfordt callsign "Repainted."

He has this fine little kit and I will pass these and my left-overs to him. Lars has a bit of talent with WWI aviation and we will be in for a very decent build.

Hi
I hope I can give yoy that Descent build.The nieuport took me eight weeks from start to finish. I will take the Staaken after the Albatros D1 build, so I´m full for 2008

Larsa Q
 _GOTOTOP