_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Indecisive builder seeks guidance; Caucus Me!
BattleRabbit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 03:21 PM UTC
Unlike many of you I do not stockpile kits, I buy them I as I finish other kits, leaving me with only about one or two in the house at a time. At the moment I have none. I am looking for something from the Cold War era to build. Something that provides a nice contrast to the rest of the contents of my shelf as it stands.

At the moment my shelf contains a Tamiya Raiden, a Revell Hurricane MkIIC, an F-15C, a Fw-190-D9(all 1/48) and a host of cars.

Now, I would appreciate it if you all would caucus me, making cases for whatever plane suits your fancy based on the following things;
1. Historical Significance
2. "Interesting" qualities of design, eccentricities of the aircraft
3. Availability/Quality of kits.

Thanks in advance!

Note:
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 05:03 PM UTC
You should do a F-104. The hasegawa kit is quite good.
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 07:01 PM UTC
Hawker Hunter, now that's a beautiful aircraft. Plenty of kits available
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
AeroScale: 332 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 10:26 AM UTC
A-4 Skyhawk. one of these planes caused the Bruce Carrier award to be started at least from what I remember. they are plentiful in the kit world and look really cool.
BattleRabbit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 03:30 AM UTC
well, I took my sister to Michaels the other day, and I noticed that they had an F-101 voodoo(the old revell kit) on sale dirt cheap, but I think my real choice for my good, quality cold war build will be Hasegawa's Draken or an A-4 skyhawk.

Its come down to those two, help please!
TAFFY3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 05:22 AM UTC
Hi Chris, My recomendation would be the F-102 Delta Dagger. It has that delta wing design ( the first operational delta wing if I remember right).It was supposed to be an interim design until the "perfect interceptor" (F-106 Delta Dart) came into service. It was produced in greater numbers than the "Six" and served in more squadrons. There are plenty of colorful markings options available for it. There is also the F-101 Voodoo which served in the US and Canada during the Cold War. I have built the Monogram 1/48 kits of both aircraft and while they are not "shake and bake", they build into pretty respectable models.If you prefer 1/72 there are kits available in that scale also. On the russian side you have the Mig-21,Mig-19, and Mig-17. Then in bombers there is always the B-52 or the Russian "Bear".
 _GOTOTOP