_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Matt Varnish, and hello
RichPrag
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 12:31 AM UTC
Hello all, I should have really introduced myself before posting but better late than never I guess.

I have recently got back into building planes after a break of about 13 years or something, I used to do a lot when I was a kid, i remember doing a mig29, Hornet, F4 Phantom and a V22 Osprey, but one of the rotor sections fell down a gap in the stairs and was lost. Oh and a puma helicopter. I just enjoyed putting them together back then, not much in the way of painting.

So anyway I got back into it and now I'm trying to paint them a bit more realistically and getting help from people on here about various techniques. I'm brush painting by the way so should be interesting trying to find ways to emulate the techniques you guys use for airbrushes. Its nice to see a net forum that is friendly and helpful too rather than lairy and that. At the moment I have a 1/72 Mig 25 I have just started to paint a nice shade of grey, a 1/32 spitfire mk24 that is almost ready to paint, and a 1/72 Mig 27 FloggerD that has got a coat of primer on it. I'm moving in with my girlfriend in a month and can use her camera so then I will be able to post pics for people to critique and stuff.

Right, to my question: I've just found out that Testors Dullcote matt varnish is now banned in the EU due to it containing the banned substane toluenol or something. Can anyone recommend a good matt varnish in aeorsol form that I can get on internet, preferably from a UK based website?

Thanks everyone.
Grifter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 01:20 AM UTC
Tamiya makes a clear flat spraycan item TS-80.
Don't know if you can buy it in the UK, but worth a look, I'm sure its good stuff.
RichPrag
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 02:09 AM UTC
Ah thanks man, i googled it but nowhere in the UK does it and they can;'t ship spray cans. But I found a link for Vallejo matt spray varnish, i'm assuming that this works. So thanks!
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 02:13 AM UTC
Hi Rich,

Vallejo do a good matt varnish in aeorsol (item 28531), It dries quickly as it is an acrylic and is a good matt finish. The only drawbacks are that it has to be applied in light coats and the can needs a hell of a lot of shaking before spraying. I have had good results with it in the past.
RichPrag
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rich,

Vallejo do a good matt varnish in aeorsol (item 28531), It dries quickly as it is an acrylic and is a good matt finish. The only drawbacks are that it has to be applied in light coats and the can needs a hell of a lot of shaking before spraying. I have had good results with it in the past.

thanks for the info, I found that varnish while looking for the tamiya stuff and ordered some. So if its acrylic it would still stick fine after paint and then varnish with Klear?
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So if its acrylic it would still stick fine after paint and then varnish with Klear?

It will adhere nicely over a coat of Klear or any gloss finish. As I said it gives the best results if you spray light coats, two or three light coats are better than one heavy one. One other thing to try would be to stand the can in not too hot water for a minute or two first as it will spray with a higher pressure. This will give a better atomisation and allow you to mist it on.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 08:01 AM UTC
Weclome : if brush painting is your means ( i do lots myself ) what i find very help and you should be able to get it is MicroScale - micro flat finish you can use it by brushing or airbrush thins with water and cleans up with water and no strong oder from it . hope that this helps you .
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:27 PM UTC
I use a very nice aerosol varnish - comes out very fine and has a smooth eggshell finish. I can't for the life of me remember the brand name, but I got it from Antics, so if you're anywhere near Plymouth, Gloucester or Stroud, you may be able to find it.

Good to see someone else sticking with brushes. Don't go over to the dark side ...
 _GOTOTOP