Tamiya 1/48 Wildcat
Karybdis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 09:01 PM UTC
Howdy!

I built the F4F-4 as a lark after my Betty for the Pacific campaign. Here is what I said about it in my quick post to that forum. It has Eduard photo etch in the cockpit and I cut the solid cockpit floor to make it more like the real thing so that the bottom windows can be seen out of. It's sprayed with the new Tamiya Flat clear coat. Unfortunately, I stupidly forgot to seal my oil washes with another coat of Future before spraying the Tamiya lacquer, so the wash ended up moving away from the decals and made the decals stand out under close scrutiny. Ah well. This was a project for fun. Unleash the big pictures!

Enjoy! More can be seen HERE...
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 09:45 PM UTC
Very good model and perfectly finished.

Two questions spring to mind:

How did you paint this thing? (airbrush equipment, paint ...)

what did you use to make these photographs and what was the set up (aperture, speed...)
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
AeroScale: 332 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 10:54 PM UTC
Very nice. Especially the empty bomb racks
Karybdis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:06 AM UTC
Thanks for the nice words Kelly and Drabslab!

Painting is as follows:
Tamiya primer.
Panel lines pre-shaded with a red brown/ black mix like so:

Interior is Gunze Interior Green, bottom is Gunze Light Gull Grey, top is Gunze Blue Grey.
Coat of Future, oil wash, (should have been another coat of future, but forgot), Tamiya Dull clear coat.
Tamiya powders.
Since this is a fairly small build, I used my Iwata HP-BH airbrush for everything.

Pictures taken with Nikon Coolpix P5000. Aperture fixed, F-Stop 4.3 for closeups, 5.6 for farther. The cockpit shot is a little more grainy because I didn't set up my entire lighting rig and just took the shot under dining room lights.

Thanks again!
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2008 - 03:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the nice words Kelly and Drabslab!

Painting is as follows:
Tamiya primer.
Panel lines pre-shaded with a red brown/ black mix like so:

Interior is Gunze Interior Green, bottom is Gunze Light Gull Grey, top is Gunze Blue Grey.
Coat of Future, oil wash, (should have been another coat of future, but forgot), Tamiya Dull clear coat.
Tamiya powders.
Since this is a fairly small build, I used my Iwata HP-BH airbrush for everything.

Pictures taken with Nikon Coolpix P5000. Aperture fixed, F-Stop 4.3 for closeups, 5.6 for farther. The cockpit shot is a little more grainy because I didn't set up my entire lighting rig and just took the shot under dining room lights.

Thanks again!

exactly the kind of info that I need

thanks
 _GOTOTOP