_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Prop blade came off.................:(
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 - 03:38 PM UTC
Anyone got an idea how to get a new one?

The blade came off when I sanded. My own fault of course for being too rough, but accidents happen

Can I repair it? Or will Airfix send me another one free of charge...lol
f_4phantom1959
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 111 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 - 03:45 PM UTC
Please give more details

Fred
Grifter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 - 04:00 PM UTC
If the blade broke off right at it's base, I've had good luck in the past repairing them. I just cleaned up the break a little to flatten it out and cemented it back on.
If it's big enough you may be able to drill a small hole in either side and insert a bit of brass rod or some stiff wire to strengthen the joint.
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 - 04:27 PM UTC
It's for my 1/72 P-38,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Yes, it's right at the base and I'm sure it can be glued back, but just don't like the thought of a repaired prop.......maybe I'm too fussy. It was going really well until this happened too...............lol
keenan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 - 05:32 PM UTC
What Greg said. Sand both ends of the break flat and square. That should give you enough surface area for a good glue joint. I have repaired broken 1/35th scale machine gun barrels and no one but me knows the difference. (It will always look crooked to you, though, trust me.)

Shaun

Oh, and the last step of most of my modeling projects is to hold them up to the light and say, "Wow, this is way better than the last one" and promptly drop it on the cement basement floor.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2008 - 05:33 PM UTC
Start by drilling a hole in the bladewhere it broke then drill a hole in the corresponding piece that it broke from. Apply a small bit of superglue to both holes and insert a brass wire that matches the size and depth of the holes that you drilled and let set.

Or use super glue apply a couple of dabs of Superglue accelerator (local hobby stores) to one piece (The broken area on the prop blade) and super glue to the other piece (the prop hub stem) and then touch them together and hold for about 3 seconds. Bond becomes rock hard. Experiment with scrap first to get the feel of it.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 12:07 AM UTC
Sometimes I experience parts breaking in kits with relatively brittle plastic, just like there was a pre-set breakpoint in the part. This usually makes so precise breaks that the pieces dont' require any clean-up or filing before gluing together.
But then, I'd rather have kits with not-so-brittle plastic so these wouldn't happen at all...
 _GOTOTOP