_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Olive drab
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:35 AM UTC
A few questions/findings to share...........I've been brush-painting my P-38 and have used Humbrol 66 (olive drab) as per instructions. Completed most of the wings now, but the finish looks darker than I'd imagined. I referred to my 'Mighty Eighth in Colour' book and can see that ETO olive drab aircraft did indeed vary, some being very badly weathered, almost to a yellow/brown, while others are fesher looking, and a few P-38s were so dark that if the photos had been b/w, they'd have looked black.
Have others found the olive drab quite dark?

I plan to age my model, as I'm not a fan of factory finishes on combat aircraft, so I'll more than likey be looking for tips.

While I'm here, I'd like to know what spray cans are available in olive drab, as this will be my plan for my next model. Can't do the airbrush thing right now.............

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 01:50 AM UTC
there were two colors of olive drab used by the states in WWII

the first one was lighter and browner.

the second was darker and more on the greenish side of OD. It was only used for a short time before the call to let planes go out in their natural metal state.

Plus both the ODs tended to fade, the earlier one more thna the latter if I recall correctly.

So yeah, it probably is darker than you expected.

not sure who sells the lighter OD in spray paint - maybe tamiya?
goldstandard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
AeroScale: 186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 08:30 AM UTC
Aqueous Hobby Color (Gunze Gangyo) makes the two shades of olive drab. H304 is the lighter browner one, H52 the darker, greener one.
propwash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Charente, France
KitMaker: 289 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:01 PM UTC
Thanks guys, I'll give them a try.
 _GOTOTOP