_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Born Again Modeler
AiwaSoundSystem
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 07:55 AM UTC
Hello Everyone!!!

I used to build models back in the day as a young teen. I fell out of it for many reasons but have always wanted to get back into the hobby in a more serious manner. I only want to build 1:48 scale as I feel it gives good detail and to a point small enough models for display in my home.

Well it happens that a friend of mine decided it just wasn't for him and gave (yes gave for free!!!) me all of his supplies (most unused and even unopened). Here's a list of what I was given (all models in 1:48 Scale):

Revell:
B-1B Lancer (Unopened and Complete)
F4U-5 Corsair (Unopened and Complete)
F-14A Black Tomcat (Unopened and Complete)
F4U-4 (Missing Canopy)
B-29 Superfortress (Unopened and Complete)
Huey Hog (Unopened and Complete)

Italeri:
F-5A Freedom Fighter (Unopened and Complete)
F-16C Fighting Falcon (Unopened and Complete)
A-10A Thunderbolt II (Unopened and Complete)

Monogram:
F-117A Stealth (Unopened and Complete)

Badger 200-3 Airbrush Set

Various Tools:
Pin Vise plus mini drill bits
Xacto knife set
Various paints
Thinners
Brushes
Sprue Cutters
Model Master Masking Tape
Various Glues

My Question is, to be a serious modeler and actually get the detail into these models that I would like, what else do I need and are there any things that I was given that I might as well throw out. I know there are various resin kits and photo etched parts I can find for these projects, but where do I go to get them online?

calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
AeroScale: 332 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 08:48 AM UTC
A spray gun and something to mask with outside of that just dive in and have fun you'll find more of what you need by doing that.
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 11:43 AM UTC
My God, don't throw anything out! If you find that you don't want a particular kit for some reason, put it on Ebay.
Squadron.com and KitLink sell replacement canopies for most planes in 1/48 scale. I'm sure you can find a new canopy for your Corsair. Also, try Sprue Brothers, Roll Models, and of course Ebay. You might want to pick up a book on airbrushing, to learn how to get the most out of the airbrush, easily the prize of the collection you were given.
Some people like to use aftermarket accessories such as photo-etched detail sets, bulged replacement wheels, etc., to really trick their models out. I have a limited budget for my hobby that doesn't allow me to spend that kind of money each month. But I do buy aftermarket decals for my planes on occasion. I especially like to build planes in the service of smaller air forces. If you want to see which countries flew the planes you have models of, go to Wings Palette, a website that illustrates the camouflage and emblems of all military planes throughout history. You might look at the F-5 (just to illustrate), see it in various schemes and markings, then decide how you want your model to look. Good luck, and have fun!
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
AeroScale: 332 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:00 PM UTC
One other thought this is a good video series to get an idea of some of the things in building a model of any type http://youtube.com/watch?v=vk3Y7xO5GaA if I get this to work.
AiwaSoundSystem
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:01 PM UTC
I am not throwing any of the models or major stuff out . I looked most of them up and was suprised to see that some were discontinued and extremely hard to find. I need to get a compressor for the airbrush, but have been practicing with food coloring with the "starter can" of propellant that came with the kit.

I think my first try will be with the f-117a kit from monogram. I have never used photoetched parts, but some came in the kit itself so I will get my first shot at that . I figure I will work my way up to the bigger kits improving and experimenting as I go along.

I think I got the jumpstart I needed to get back into modeling, now I just need to work on steadying my hand for those small parts ) My first one is going to be like a Parkinson's patient doing brain surgery ).... I will post progress pictures once I get started and clear a work area.

Anyone know of a good cutting mat to get? My work area is mostly going to be on a desk and I don't want to ruin that.
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:16 PM UTC
Jason,

If you invest in an air compressor look into getting a industrial type. Home Depot has some 6 gal capacity for about the same price as a specific "model airbrush" compressor. Plus you will be able to use it around the house for such things as filling your car tires.
Also look in your local classified ads, many building contractors may be selling them.

-Derek
AiwaSoundSystem
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2008 - 12:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jason,

If you invest in an air compressor look into getting a industrial type. Home Depot has some 6 gal capacity for about the same price as a specific "model airbrush" compressor. Plus you will be able to use it around the house for such things as filling your car tires.
Also look in your local classified ads, many building contractors may be selling them.

-Derek

Excellent Ideat!!! I have been looking at airbrush specific compressors, getting an industrial type makes more sense in that it can be used for other applications other than just the airbrush

Thanks Derek!!!
 _GOTOTOP