_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Getting back into it - Eduard P-40M?
JakeSh
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 04:40 PM UTC
I'm looking to get back into model airplane building after a hiatus since my early teens, and I'm 24 now. I've been painting miniatures for years, but every once in a while I want to try something new. I've been working on a Tamiya 1:48th scale Kettenkraftrad, and I really dig it, but now I want to try my hand at a plane.

My local hobby shop has a "Shark Mouths Over China" P-40N/M kit sitting around for $40 and I've been smitten by it. I read a review at http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/edu/kit_edu_p-40nm.shtml, and it appears to be a relatively easy kit to build. I like the fact it includes aftermarket PE and resin, as this is something I really want to try my hand at. It also looks to have a simple paint scheme, and cool decals. Anyone have any experiences with this kit?

If the "Shark Mouths..." kit isn't a good first, recommend me something good. I'm looking for something with aftermarket detail available, recessed panel lines, and a relatively simple paint scheme.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 06:57 PM UTC
Hi Jake

the Mauve model is not an easy model, but it is not more complex than the Hasegawa (including the resin/etched parts!!). Eduard kindly provided some AM stuff and the China issue has a base included(even if the plastic Marsden matting is not totally convincing)

Take your time and dry fit occasionally. Just make sure you put a spreader into the fuselage or you will have major gap at the wing root.

my 2 ct.

best wishes

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 - 12:14 AM UTC
Hi Jake, welcome back to the hobby. It does not look as an easy kit, but you are right about the attractive colour scheme and markings.

As noted by Steffen, if you take your time and dryfit as you go along and have patience with the PE parts then you should end up with an enjoyable build.

Good luck with it
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 - 05:00 AM UTC
I built it. It is a really fantastic kit. Decals are fantastic. Resin interior is detailed beyond belief. Looks great when finished. Some minor fit problems, but nothing that can't be overcome with a good #11 blade and file. If you are getting back into it, you might need to invest in some tools. I really liked this kit and would build it again.
JakeSh
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 - 05:55 AM UTC
I just picked up the kit today. Can't wait to get started, but it will have to wait, I have a busy weekend. Fortunately, I have plenty of tools lying around from working on and converting miniatures and figures, though I'm sure an order will soon be placed to Squadron for more specialty stuff.

That being said, I do have some questions about tools and materials...
What putty would you recommend? I have plenty of milliput laying around, does this work well on models, or should I invest in something else?
I've seen people using nifty mini C clamps for clamping wings and bodies together. Will clothes pins work well for wings? How should I hold the body of the plane together while it is drying?
What kind of glue would you recommend? I'm used to using superglue on figures, but does this work on models? I also have some nice Faller brand model glue laying around with a needle applicator, but I just don't know when it is best to use what.

Thanks for the help. I'm sure I will have a bit more questions, so please check back!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:34 AM UTC
It appears nobody answerd you earlier. Somehow I managed to miss returning to this thread also.

What putty would you recommend? Doesn't really matter much. Personal preference rules the day on this one. Milliput laying will work fine.

I've seen people using nifty mini C clamps for clamping wings and bodies together. Will clothes pins work well for wings? How should I hold the body of the plane together while it is drying? Clothes pins are a bit weak. Clams will be much better. Lay the model so the glue wont run or stick to something laying around.

What kind of glue would you recommend? I'm used to using superglue on figures, but does this work on models? I also have some nice Faller brand model glue laying around with a needle applicator, but I just don't know when it is best to use what. Again, it doesn't really matter much. Personal preference and experimentation should be your guide.

Also remember, superglue can also be used to fill minor gaps.

Show us some pics when you get a chance. And have fun.
 _GOTOTOP