_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Ideas for a display stand for a Su-27?
chengjoo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 06:59 PM UTC
Hi everyone,

I just started becoming serious in kit modelling recently (and also a newbie in this forum) and I have a few questions to ask.

I have a Su-27 in 1:48 scale built from a Trumpeter kit, didn't paint it as I was still starting out then.

Obviously, the kit came without a display stand. Now that I have got meself a new glass cabinet, I want to put the Sukhoi on a stand so that it doesn't have such a large 'footprint' in my shelf.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can handmake a display stand that is sturdy enough to support my Sukhoi? I would consider display stands sold commercially too.

By the way, how do I paint the thin rims (representing the metal frames) that usually surround the bubble canopy of jets without going into the areas that I want it clear?

Also, if my canopy happens to get scratched or a part of it 'smudges' because it came in contact with thinner, is there any way I get it clear again?

thanks in advance and sorry for the many questions.

Regards,
CJ
HawkeyeV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
AeroScale: 129 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 02:06 AM UTC
Before you do anything with the canopy dip it in Future. Should you end up getting a blemish in it, you can polishing it out. It is a bit of work but doable.

If you have a centerline tank mounted, simple use a piece of brass tubing that will insert into the tank with the other end into a base capable of supporting the model in a sturdy manner.
chengjoo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2007 - 02:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Before you do anything with the canopy dip it in Future. Should you end up getting a blemish in it, you can polishing it out. It is a bit of work but doable.

If you have a centerline tank mounted, simple use a piece of brass tubing that will insert into the tank with the other end into a base capable of supporting the model in a sturdy manner.

thanks hawkeye, but nope, i don't have a centreline tank mounted on my Su-27.

I was, however, thinking of making use of the exhaust nozzles to mount the whole aircraft.

Kinda like those you see sold together with die-cast aircraft models.

Is that feasible in your opinion?
 _GOTOTOP