_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
bare metal foil for masking canopies
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 01:25 PM UTC
I am attempting to mask a tamiya 1/48th scale A6M2 canopy with bare metal foil, I made a mistake and peeled it all off to restart......quite a bit of adhesive residue was left on the canopy, very disconcerting, would dipping the canopy before hand in future help resolve this problem? or just clean up the adhesive residue as a last step after painting canopy. I am guessing maybe this is a big drawback to using this masking method as I do not see much evidence of bare metal foil in all the threads related to masking canopies.thanks beforehand for answering ANOTHER one of my questions.
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 02:21 PM UTC
I use Bare Metal foil and it most often leaves a residue, but the citrus based 'goo gone' adhesive remover and a Q-tip will remove it.

I was skeptical, but this does not harm either acrylic (Tamiya, Model Master or Gunze) paints or enamels.

Mike
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 03:21 PM UTC
I really appreciate your tip, this foil conforms so well to the faint lines of this canopy and I was hoping to solve this problem...thanks so much.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 07:43 PM UTC
I tried BMF for canopies a few times and gave up on it. It was difficult to remove and, like you say, leaves a lot of residue. I just use Tamiya tape now.

But the funny thing about this hobby is that often what works for one person doesn't work for another. So experiment with different things until you find what works for you is the best advice.
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:28 PM UTC
I would (as said) remove the residue, future may bring more attention to the residue. You may try rubbing alcohol or some household cleaner like windex. Test it first so you don't ruin the canopy.
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 01:48 AM UTC
I shall stay with the BMF for now and try the other methods eventually, I have three inexpensive tamiya A6M2 zeros to practice on, thanks to all for your advice
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 05:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You may try rubbing alcohol or some household cleaner like windex. Test it first so you don't ruin the canopy.

Note that both rubbing alcohol and Windex most likely will remove any acrylic paint as well!

I use Humbrol thinner to remove the glue residue and as long as you don't use too much force this will leave any painted frames well alone! And yes, Bare Metal Chrome foil is on the top of my list for masking canopies for the moment. It is very thin and paint never leaks behind it.

Good luck!

Magnus
JWViguers
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 12:27 AM UTC
I use WD-40 to remove the residue. :-) It works like a charm.
 _GOTOTOP