_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
NEWS
New 1/32 Scale Aircraft detail set
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 - 07:20 AM UTC
I had an email today confirming some great news.
I bet many of us have wished for a particular detail set but how many of us have been in a position to actually ask for one and have our wish granted?

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 05:14 AM UTC
Oh dammit just finished mine with a scratch built interior.But oh what fun it was.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 06:48 AM UTC
Denis do you have pictures? I would love to see your build as I have been putting mine off for years. I'm actually heading out to Brough (BA Systems) on Thursday for some other busines (report later) and will be handing over my Matchbox Lysander and my references to Derek Bradshaw, for him to do the detail set. Do you have any references that might help Derek? Sorry to be cheaky but it's purley selfish, as the more references he has the quicker the detail set may appear

Are you an IPMS member?

Mal
airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:30 PM UTC
Mal
I don`t have any pictures yet I was thinking of photographing it at work this weekend as I am on nights and posting them.I got the details from photo`s on the net and drawings off the Var aviation drawings web site ( http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/html) .There are four lots of drawings but some are I think duplicated ie:-one set in Polish and one set in english seem to be the same apart from the language.There are photo`s of a Canadian Lizzie in skeletal form on the net.The fabric it seems was replaced temporarily for display by clingfilm.It`s amazing what you get when you google and then click images innit.
airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:34 PM UTC
oh I forgot I am not an IPMS Member but am a member of Bolton IPMS model club.I also finished the Revell P47 had it for 18 months scratchbuilt new engine,cockpit,engraved panel lines etc.Finished it last Thursday in time for club meet.
airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 09:18 AM UTC
[img]http://photos.kitmaker.net-kitmakerphotos-mylizzie&p47

I hope they are here
airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 09:24 AM UTC
Widow61
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 36 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 02:31 PM UTC
Hi Mal,

It was nice meeting you again last Tursday, even if only briefly. Thank you very much for the Lysander kit and reference material - it shall be invaluable to me for this project (thois is the first time that I had ever seen the kit , having previously only ever having seen the box only). As you have stated, I am very busy with patterns for several companies at present, Warbird Productions and MDC being chief amongst these. I have to complete the MDC/Eclipse Models 1/32 Tempest V and Warbird Productions 1/32 Spitfire F.21/22/24 wings before I can continue with my Beaufighter interior set, which in itself, is a big job.

The Lysander interior detail set should come after the Beaufighter, although if I can find the time, I shall try to devlop it in parallel with the Beaufighter set.

Despite all of this, I am trying to squeeze in some 'normal' modelling if I can - mainly because pemanently making master patterns for so many years means that my normal modelling skills, and in particular, finishing skills, are rapidly deteriorating (lack of practice). Therefore, I shall try to finish some models for the Lincoln & Newark Model Expo 2007 in mid-October. Does Doncaster IPMS branch have a similar competition/show?

Dennis: I couldn't view your Lysander pictures for some reason, but I would love to see them, as I'm sure that they shall excellent.

Best regards

Derek
airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 04:50 PM UTC
Derek

The photos are on the kitmaker site in my gallery,I`m not used to uploading into forums yet,hence the viewing problem.If you want a look try there.

Den
165thspc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
AeroScale: 375 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 - 10:29 PM UTC
I know this is an old post but I am just now working on my 1/32 Matchbox Lysander and certainly would like to get my hands on this update kit if anything was produced???
165thspc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 12:07 AM UTC
I am new to the aircraft side of the Kitmaker network. Any info on upgrading the Matchbox 1/32 Westland Lysander would be very much appreciated.

Can anyone direct me to any generic threads on upgrading/ building your own control panels? I feel the stock Matchbox control panel is the one place this kit is really lacking in detail! Also are there any AM generic gauge decals available in this scale?
165thspc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 12:25 AM UTC
OK, I did find Airscale in the UK. Very interesting site. They had everything I could hope for pertaining to instrument gauges short of having an actual brass etched Lysander instrument panel. (However they do have a number of other WWII complete instrument panels.)

My order for generic gauges, placards and instrument bezels has been placed!

Link to the Airscale home page:

http://www.airscale.co.uk/index.php#top
165thspc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 12:55 AM UTC
Current status on my Lysander (as to internal detailing, I am just following in the footsteps of those on this site who have gone before.)

Here are the internal cloth ribbing supports as added.

As you can see I already made at least one error: (Red Arrow) e.g. I cut open the outlet for the right side oil cooler. I trusted in where Matchbox had molded the indent on the outside body shell. In reality the indent shown on the model is approximately 20 scale inches too far back and would foul the cockpit window mechanism if located there. Some filling and re-cutting will be required to fix this.

I plan on making my "Lizzie" a photo recon unit with one camera hard mounted vertically in the belly of the aircraft, The rear figure will be holding a second, larger aerial camera in his hands and shooting out through the open cockpit. (This was a very common practice throughout both wars.)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 12:32 PM UTC
Wow, this is a blast from the past!

I think that I got a bit too excited about this detail set, I have not heard anything about it since Derek's post on here

I would still love to get hold of it though
165thspc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 10:37 PM UTC
Greetings Mal, do you think I would get a greater response to my questions if I started my own thread that mentioned the Lysander specifically by name?

Mike
165thspc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 - 11:28 PM UTC
Before the recent Hollywood movie "Allied" I would have had no idea what a Lysander was. But as it was featured somewhat prominently in the movie my interest level has gone up about a thousand fold.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 - 02:05 PM UTC
Hi Mike,
Sorry, I didn't actually read your post. I was just very surprised to see this thread again after all this time!

It might be a good idea to post a specific question/s on your own thread. Many my just see this as a "blast from the past" and, like me, not actually read what you wrote?

I did scratch build the seat and adjusting mechanism on a 1/48 Lysander, which is shown in a thread somewhere around Aeroscale. Unfortunately all of my reference material went to Derek. I haven't heard anthting about this update set so I guess that it isn't happening, certainly not anytime soon. Now that you have reminded me about it I'll see if I can contact Derek and ask if there is any news on it
 _GOTOTOP